1Password X or classic extension?

Martijnn
Martijnn
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I switched from Chrome to Firefox a few days ago and wanted to install the 1Password extension for Firefox. When I went to "https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers" I only saw 1Password X. I then started looking further and found the classic extension.

But now I wonder. Am I supposed to switch to 1Password X or does it not matter?

1Password Version: 7.7 Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 11.1 (Big Sur)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Β«1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Martijnn!

You can use the extension you prefer, but we do recommend giving 1Password X a try, as this is going to be the future of the 1Password extension :)

• sbleon
    sbleon
    Community Member

The classic extension works so much better for me on macOS. X doesn't seem to have universal keyboard shortcuts, and doesn't actually work for autofilling my Google logins. Please keep the classic extension around!!!

• Hello @sbleon,

Thank you for your feedback. The classic extension is not going anywhere, for now, so please don't worry. However, 1Password X should work without issues on Google logins.

That said, if you want to give 1Password X another try, please let me know and we can continue from there.

• lef
    lef
    Community Member

The real problem with 1Password X is that I can't seem to use my iCloud vault with it. Any ideas?

• @lef

1Password in the browser (formerly 1Password X) cannot make use of iCloud or other 3rd party synced vaults. You'll need to use the classic extension for that.

Get the 1Password classic extension

• mhelvey
    mhelvey
    Community Member

are there plans to allow the new extension to work with touch id on mac os, or only the classic?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mhelvey:

Our developers are working on it already :) Please see this announcement here in the forum for all the details:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• donpeppi
    donpeppi
    Community Member

i also would like to keep the classic extencion. It irritates me that i have to log in every time i start the browser. With classic extension you do not have to login if you are already logged in on the desktop app. When you create a strong password you cant change the suggestion that 1password suggest on the fly. No I much rather prefer classic

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @donpeppi ,

We're working on integrating the new 1Password in the browser with the desktop app so you will be able to keep it unlocked just like you do with the Classic extension, so you'll be able to enjoy both worlds.

As for editing suggested passwords - you can definitely do that in the same manner you do it with the Classic extension - click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar when a password is being suggested on the page and you'll see the generator, where you can generate/edit your own password.

• donpeppi
    donpeppi
    Community Member

Hallo
    Sounds perfect what you are working with. That would be amazingπŸ˜€.

I will definitely check out the generate password thing once more. 😊

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Superb :chuffed: :+1:

• donpeppi
    donpeppi
    Community Member

Worked perectly :p Have not notices that "plus" sign before. Love it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We're glad to hear it!

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member

Hello, will I be able to unlock the updated x extension for FireFox with my apple watch, in the same way as is currently the case for the Safari extension?

• @Bakj

Yes, 1Password beta for Firefox will allow you to use the same biometric unlock as you do for 1Password for Mac. Keep in mind you'll need both 1Password for Firefox and 1Password for Mac to be running the beta versions. You can install them from here.

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member

That is excellent. Thanks you very much for getting back to me so quickly.

• @Bakj

You are most welcome! :) Let us know if you have any trouble, we're here to help!

• seanism
    seanism
    Community Member

Just saw you've rebranded 1Password X to 1Password. Does the new extension work with the native MacOS app? Or it's still independent of the native app?

Any benefits to using the new extension? I manage 300+ computers and we currently use the classic extension with the MacOS app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@seanism:

Does the new extension work with the native MacOS app? Or it's still independent of the native app?

It's an independent extension out of the box, but you can now integrate it with the 1Password for Mac app if you wish :+1:

Any benefits to using the new extension? I manage 300+ computers and we currently use the classic extension with the MacOS app.

Our developers are focusing on the new extension now, so that is the one that will keep getting all the new features and improvements.

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member

Adding my voice to the choir for continued support of the classic extension. I don't like having to launch a browser when I need access to many of the non-browser record types like notes, credit cards, servers, software licenses and wireless routers. I don't just use 1Password for website field fill. :-)

I can also resize the classic browser window when I need it for website field fill and I don't think I can do this in 1Password X. (I may be wrong but it doesn't matter.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for chiming in on this as well @Piggy, we appreciate your feedback :+1:

I don't like having to launch a browser when I need access to many of the non-browser record types like notes, credit cards, servers, software licenses and wireless routers.

You don't need to launch the browser if you need access to this information. The classic extension requires the desktop app to be installed, so you can certainly access this information from there, even if you use the new extension in the browser.

• reboot81
    reboot81
    Community Member

I have also reverted back to the classic extension as I prefer to enter one password one time when I sit down at my computer to work.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @reboot81 ,
    This discussion is a bit outdated - you can now unlock 1Password once and it will unlock everywhere even with the new extension. There is no reason to stick to the Classic extension now.

If you are having troubles getting this to work properly, we'll be happy to help you. Feel free to open a new discussion in the forum or send us an email with all the details to support+x@1password.com

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member

No desire to store my 1PW file on your servers. I want to stick with Classic. I'm trying to problem-solve a problem with my bank and am trying to use Firefox. 1PW Classic extension not available?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@trixiesirisheyes:

It's certainly still available :)

Get the 1Password classic extension

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

The newer non-classic browser extensions are not reliable are still very buggy for me. With the latest version (2.0.5) I cannot even sign in using Firefox and Chrome on macOS. Edge and Safari seem to work okay.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Michael Mercurio! That doesn't sound right at all. What's going on when you try to sign in on Firefox and Chrome? I just tested it out on my end to see if I got the same results, but my accounts were added automatically (since I was already signed in on the 1Password for Mac desktop app) in Chrome. I did see a "Loading" screen for a minute or so while my accounts were being added, but after that, I saw success.

If you don't mind, I'd love to see what your logs have to say (along with what's going on when you try to sign in, like I asked). To grab your logs, you can follow the steps in this guide.

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

Thanks, @kaitlyn. Here's what I'm seeing in the console when I click on the 1Password extension icon in the toolbar:

πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <1174550355> background.js:2:1790470
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <1174550355> background.js:2:1789351

When I do this, the 1Passwrod extension icon doesn't react at all. Nothing happens.

Separately, I submitted a ticket to 1Password support about this and the instructions they sent me for getting this working including everything I've already tried several times (clearing browser cache, restarting Firefox, removing and reinstalling the extension)... except for one additional step: they also instructed me to ensure the browser extension was set to "Run in Private Windows".

I typically do not allow any extensions in private browsing mode, including my password manager. But I tried it and to my surprise, it worked! Cool. Just for the heck of it, I removed the extension, cleared my browser cache, restarted Firefox, to see if I could reinstall the extension successfully but I could not. I was back to a non-functioning extension where clicking on the 1Password extension button does nothing. 😞

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Michael Mercurio:

πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <1174550355> background.js:2:1790470
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <1174550355> background.js:2:1789351

Are those the entire logs which are created when you click on the browser extension button?

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

Are those the entire logs which are created when you click on the browser extension button?

Yes, but I did clear the console prior to clicking on the extension button. Below are the contents of the console log after restarting the browser and enabling developer mode for the extension as directed:

πŸ‘‹ Initializing 1Password background.js:2:1856194
    channel: stable
    version: 2.0.5
    build: 20168 (90.0)
    browser: Firefox (90.0)
    crypto tests: 51ms - timer ended background.js:2:1707015
    WASM: Initializing. Log Level: Info 1.js:1:4835
    πŸ’« Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password background.js:2:1788426
    πŸ‘ Finished initializing 1Password background.js:2:1857117
    πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <1580796590> background.js:2:1790470
    Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. background.js:2
    Desktop app port disconnected. Error: None background.js:2:1788876
    πŸ’« Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password7 background.js:2:1788426
    πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <2082190689> background.js:2:1790470
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <2082190689> background.js:2:1789351
    πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <27428721> background.js:2:1790470
    Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. background.js:2
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <27428721> background.js:2:1789351
    Unable to complete MFA sign-in with dSecret proxy. Desktop App might be missing dSecret. background.js:2:1737314
    Unable to add new account ClientError: Unable to sign in with available MFA options.
    t moz-extension://f5e50f19-b587-e14a-a04a-71dbb4d988b8/background/background.js:2
    KX moz-extension://f5e50f19-b587-e14a-a04a-71dbb4d988b8/background/background.js:2
    background.js:2:1818552
    We successfully unlocked 0 account(s) from a Desktop app with 1 unlocked and 0 locked account(s). background.js:2:1795526
    πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <3700388288> background.js:2:1790470
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <3700388288> background.js:2:1789351
    πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <1626185131> background.js:2:1790470
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <1626185131> background.js:2:1789351
    πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <857197967> background.js:2:1790470
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <857197967> background.js:2:1789351
    πŸ“€ Sending message to native core <1611007276> background.js:2:1790470
    πŸ“₯ Received message from native core <1611007276> background.js:2:1789351

This discussion has been closed.