Error: rolebindings.rbac.authorization.k8s.io "..." already exited

While deploying the connect+operator to a EKS Kubernetes cluster, the deployment often failed with error:

Warning: Helm release "onepassword-connect" was created but has a failed status. Use the helm command to investigate the error, correct it, then run Terraform again.
Error: rolebindings.rbac.authorization.k8s.io "onepassword-connect-operator-kube-system" already exists.

I tried Helm chart version 1.2.0 and 1.3.0. The weird part is that it actually worked half the time, failed half the time. It only failed if I have operator enabled.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• parksidemx
    parksidemx
    Community Member

After more digging. This seems to be pattern:
    If I have connect + k8s operator enabled during initial terraform apply, this error would show up:

Warning: Helm release "onepassword-connect" was created but has a failed status. Use the helm command to investigate the error, correct it, then run Terraform again.
    Error: rolebindings.rbac.authorization.k8s.io "onepassword-connect-operator-kube-system" already exists.

If I have connect up and running without operator, then enable operator and terraform apply, then this error would show up:

module.k8s_cluster.helm_release.onepassword: Modifying... [id=onepassword-connect]
    Error: no RoleBinding with the name "onepassword-connect-operator-kube-system" found

• Hi there,

Do you mind sharing what configurations you have set in terraform, (with any secret information redacted)?

• parksidemx
    parksidemx
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

I used almost the default helm installation from the github site. It was working two weeks ago when I implemented it. Just start to fail last week.

If I have both connector and operator enabled, I received this error when deploying terraform apply, it will fail with error:

I then had to change the value to deploy the connect without operator.

operator:
    create: false
    autoRestart: true
    applicationName: onepassword-connect-operator
    imagePullPolicy: IfNotPresent

Then, change the value to

operator:
    create: true
    autoRestart: true
    applicationName: onepassword-connect-operator
    imagePullPolicy: IfNotPresent

and run terraform apply one more time, to get this error

Error: no ClusterRoleBinding with the name "onepassword-connect-operator-kube-system" found

• parksidemx
    parksidemx
    Community Member

Found out the reason, I have it configured to watch two namespaces. In this case, the "{{ .Release.Namespace }}" and ${watched_namespace} are exact the same value. Once I removed it, it worked.

podLabels: {}
      watchNamespace:
        - "{{ .Release.Namespace }}"
        - ${watched_namespace}
      resources: {}
      token:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @parksidemx! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.