1PW 6 on M1 Silicon

gbarton985
gbarton985
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi, I am having issues getting 1Password 6 to operate correctly in Apple M1, MacbookAir Bir Sur 11.3.

When I try to open it, it just freezes upon hitting return after entering my master password. It does work through the Chrome browser extension, but this really reduces my functionality. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @gbarton985

1Password 6 was discontinued in 2018... a few years before anyone had heard of M1 or Big Sur. Unfortunately as such we're able to guarantee any sort of compatibility with it. The good news is that the current version of 1Password, v7, does support M1 and Big Sur. This version as well as any future versions are included with our 1Password membership service. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

Additionally we have a team of folks dedicated to helping those who are using older versions to make sure the transition goes smoothly. If you would like to chat with them I'd be happy to put you in touch. Please reach out to support+upgrade7-howto@1password.com via email. :)

Ben

• ComplainyGuy
    ComplainyGuy
    Community Member

Unfortunately also, 1Password 7 is a subscription model and not a buy it and use it forever model, as was 1Password 6. Boo.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ComplainyGuy:

We believe that Memberships are the best way to use 1Password. Our founder Dave wrote more about the history of 1Password.com here in case you are curious :+1:

• @ComplainyGuy,

Actually it was available as both a subscription model as well as a 'buy it and use it until it stops working' model. Until June 15, 2021 when we stopped selling licenses.

• janil
    janil
    Community Member

It would have been nice to have some type of notice before you stopped selling standalone licenses.

I came here today to find out why the option to buy 1password 7 for mac did not work (it is my fault for delaying, as I am happy with 1password 6 and the UI experience isn't as nice in 1password 7. I expected a phase-out period or advance notice but none was provided.

Now I am looking for an alternative to 1password. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear this @janil, but we appreciated the candid feedback. Should you decide to consider 1Password in the future too, we are always here to support :+1:

This discussion has been closed.