Login required every time on ios

Options
bobsiegel
bobsiegel
Community Member

If I fill in a form in Firefox using 1password I always have to enter my password to unlock 1Password. But I have set the parameters in 1Password to only require new login after 1 day, and fingerprint after 1 hour. If I open the 1Password app and then try logging in in Firefox it doesn’t require password. It should work without opening 1Password app, shouldn’t it?

1Password Version: Latest ios
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bobsiegel

I believe you can improve your experience with 1Password for iOS by adjusting your settings.

• Make sure either Face ID or Touch ID is on in 1Password under Settings > Security
    • Turn off Settings > Security > Lock on Exit
    • Turn on Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• bobsiegel
    bobsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

Toch id was on and lock on exit was off. I changed always show Lock Screen to on. It still happens that if I login to website and have to enter password, and then logout and try to login again the master password is required. The only way to avoid this is to open the 1Password app itself, login there and then I get the choice of touchid.

• Ben
    Options

@bobsiegel

As a test could you please try setting 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password to 'never'? With it set that way are you still prompted for the Master Password when filling from iOS's Password AutoFill feature?

Ben

• bobsiegel
    bobsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

I set require to never and after that I didn’t need touch or password. But that was the case with the app as well. So I rebooted the iPad and before logging in the app I used Firefox to login to website. I was required to use touch the first time. After logging out the second time I got the master dialogue at login but with the option to do touch. That works better for me, but it’s still strange that with the 1 hour setting I never get the option to use touch, or even without either. Maybe it’s Firefox? I haven’t tried Safari yet.

• bobsiegel
    bobsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried Safari and it does the same. I set to require after restart and logging in to website requires Master 1st time and 2nd time as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobsiegel:

I set to require after restart and logging in to website requires Master 1st time and 2nd time as well.

What happens if you open the main 1Password app after a reboot first instead, and then you use it from Safari, for example?

• bobsiegel
    bobsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

If I open the app with password first, then it works without password in Firefox and Safari.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobsiegel:

Thank you for confirming. This is exactly the correct behavior: you need to unlock the main 1Password app at least once. Otherwise, if you do it the other way around, you will keep getting prompted for your Master Password until you open the main app once :+1:

• bobsiegel
    bobsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. But it isn’t the most user friendly way. You’d think that when browsing, and going to a website, the login with password would unlock everything and not just one time. But I’m not complaining. 1Password is great, and now I know how to avoid having to reenter the password. .

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobsiegel:

I agree. If I am not mistaken, this is how things work in iOS from what I have been told, since it's the main app which handles the locked/unlocked state. The autofill extension can only do this through the main app, apparently it cannot change the locked status by itself. Which is why it can use Touch ID or Face ID after unlocking the main app once.

• evxn
    evxn
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Have the same issue for a couple of years and it drives me mad that I have to enter my master password twice before the app remembers it. Didn't have this with a competitor, so I guess there's some implementation detail in the 1password itself, not the iOS. Please, put some resources into investigating the issue and possible workarounds. :'(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@evxn:

Have the same issue for a couple of years and it drives me mad that I have to enter my master password twice before the app remembers it.

If you enter your Master Password in the main app instead of in the autofill extension, you should only need to do this once :+1:

Can you confirm that you are not entering your Master Password in the autofill extension first, and then again in the main app?

• Fulnir
    Fulnir
    Community Member
    Options

This has been driving me mad for months. Finally got myself to try and figure out why I had to keep typing my password even if my settings told me not to (and that search led me to this post which explains the behaviour I'm seeing). I agree that this is not what you expect of the options as a user. It is not clear that you have to open the main app on a regular basis to keep it from asking your password on every invocation. In my daily workflow I never open the app on the phone. Any new logins are almost always added on the laptop, so 99% of the time, the ios app is only used for the browser extension features. I never enter the main app "naturally".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @Fulnir, and sorry for the inconvenience!

• JimTheFish
    JimTheFish
    Community Member
    Options

This doesn't work for me, still have to put in master password everytime.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimTheFish:

Are you referring to the main 1Password app, or to the Autofill extension?

• ChanelCinq
    ChanelCinq
    Community Member
    Options

This happens to me a couple times a year and it I never remember these instructions. Each time I am pulling my hair out as to why I have to enter in my master password over and over and over. And then I do some Googling and eventually figure it out but I have to say 1Password is not the most user friendly app. I find myself entering in my master password far too often.

But thanks for the instructions. I am going to bookmark this for the future.

And thanks for the new safari extension for the desktop version. I use Safari on my iPhone and Google on my MacBook Pro but Safari is one of the backup browsers I use and the new 1Password Safari extension is great.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChanelCinq:

But thanks for the instructions. I am going to bookmark this for the future.

And thanks for the new safari extension for the desktop version. I use Safari on my iPhone and Google on my MacBook Pro but Safari is one of the backup browsers I use and the new 1Password Safari extension is great.

Thank you for the kind words :)

This discussion has been closed.