How to sync a local PC vault to my phone via WLAN?

Options

I want to do this so I dont have to upload my password to the 1password cloud but rather hold them on my PC and then sync via WLAN to my phone periodically. I have been able to make my own PC vault and have the app on my phone but I cant find where to even start to sync from my PC.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

That's quite a challenge, to get some files automatically copied from your PC to your phone. For this tedious task all those cloud providers popped up in the last 10 years. I suppose, the sync provider that comes nearest to what you want is something like Owncloud: https://owncloud.com/ or Nextcloud: https://nextcloud.com/
    It's total overkill for just sync a 1Password vault, but as far as I see it, no simple "just sync this directory" solution exist. As far as I see, even the once common sync tools for mobile devices vanished, because these days you usually sync via public cloud providers such as Onedrive or Google drive.

You might rethink your position towards 3rd party clouds. They are not insecure, otherwise you would read about it in the media - it would be a huge scandal nobody could miss. If it comes to 1Password, read the security design documentation they made and see how they made it nobody except you, not even they themselves, are able to decrypt cloud-synced vaults.

Even more, the more you custom build some own sync, the more insecure the whole thing gets, because you as a single person, probably a nonprofessional if it comes to IT security, cannot build something as secure as a whole team of professional software developers. The risk of you accidentally building some security leak by configuring something wrong is quite high. The risk of the same security leak by using some standard sync is rather low.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hi @con9834!

1Password for Windows does not support WLAN sync I am afraid, sorry :(

Edit: the post from Tertius3 was mistakenly flagged from the forum software, it should show up now :+1:

This discussion has been closed.