where is the local vault on a Mac

cwb
cwb
Community Member

For many reasons I still have questions about my 1password family account even after setting it up 1.5 years ago.

First of all, I can't figure out where my vault is stored. Over the 12 or more years using 1p I've stored my information in Dropbox and iCloud. But now even though I have dozens of various 1p files on my Mac, I found none of them have been modified in the last 9 months so I'm assuming they are not being used. So where is my data?

I found a 2018-2020 post on the community forum suggesting that there is a local copy of the vault at
~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/

But that doesn't show up on my Mac. I only found small files like 1password7.html and similar ones for 1password6 and 1password4 after shortening the search to just
~/Library/Group Containers/

If all these old 1p files are not being used I'd like to delete them. But I'm also wondering if I should be concerned that there might be no local copy of the vault since I save so much other information in secure notes that I might need without an internet connection.

1Password Version: 1p7 version 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cwb!

First of all, I can't figure out where my vault is stored. Over the 12 or more years using 1p I've stored my information in Dropbox and iCloud. But now even though I have dozens of various 1p files on my Mac, I found none of them have been modified in the last 9 months so I'm assuming they are not being used. So where is my data?

You mentioned using a 1Password Families account, so your data is stored on 1Password.com. Dropbox and iCloud would not be used anymore in this case.

But that doesn't show up on my Mac. I only found small files like 1password7.html and similar ones for 1password6 and 1password4 after shortening the search to just ~/Library/Group Containers/

Do you mean that the Data folder is empty for you, or that it does not show up at all?

If all these old 1p files are not being used I'd like to delete them. But I'm also wondering if I should be concerned that there might be no local copy of the vault since I save so much other information in secure notes that I might need without an internet connection.

There certainly is a local copy of your data. If you want to double check, just disconnect your Mac from the Internet and unlock 1Password. If you can still view your data, it's coming from your local copy :+1:

This discussion has been closed.