What’s the point on the email category (iOS and macOS)

Options
Poison
Poison
Community Member

I‘ve had created all my email accounts in the email category in my vault.
Now when I‘m trying to sign in 1password only shows my logins but not my email category.
So I can‘t login natively on iOS Spark, Airmail, Canary. This also happens when I try to login to websites of my mail providers.

TL;DR:
Why there is an mail category when you can’t access those informations?

1Password Version: 7.7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Poison

The email category was built for storing things like IMAP, POP, and SMTP server settings. As you say it would not generally be the best choice if you need to store credentials for a webmail login. Those would be best suited to be Logins.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Poison
    Poison
    Community Member
    Options

But why do you hide those necessary settings and don’t give us the possibility to search in those categories?
    Not only for webmail but also for the apps? I really don’t get the point on that.

When you do a fresh installation of e.g. Spark it will ask for your server settings and password.
    There’s no way to access those information but copy them one by one from mail category to the necessary fields.

Everything I store inside 1password and can’t access everywhere seems useless - at least to me.

• Ben
    Options

@Poison

But why do you hide those necessary settings and don’t give us the possibility to search in those categories?

I'm not entirely sure I follow. You should be able to search and find the information you've stored in 1Password regardless of what category it is in.

Not only for webmail but also for the apps?

There is no mechanism on macOS for filling such information into non-web browser apps at present.

I really don’t get the point on that.

1Password is still a safe and convenient place to store such information, despite the fact we cannot fill it.

When you do a fresh installation of e.g. Spark it will ask for your server settings and password.
    There’s no way to access those information but copy them one by one from mail category to the necessary fields.

You can also drag and drop from 1Password into Spark, but as I say there isn't any way we could fill this information automatically with the technology currently available.

Does that help answer your questions? Please let me know. If I'm not understanding please feel free to rephrase.

Ben

• Poison
    Poison
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not entirely sure I follow. You should be able to search and find the information you've stored in 1Password regardless of what category it is in.

To do this you’ll have to open 1PW. But you can’t do this within apps or in the web.

Not only for webmail but also for the apps?
    There is no mechanism on macOS for filling such information into non-web browser apps at present.

Sorry it seems I’ve posted my question into the wrong category. Can you please move this to the iOS category?

You can also drag and drop from 1Password into Spark, but as I say there isn't any way we could fill this information automatically with the technology currently available.

I‘ll guess you mean macOS but I‘m talking about iOS and iPadOS.
    @MacOS: At the moment I‘m out of reach of my Mac but I remember that Big Sur has an option for filling apps. But maybe I’m wrong here.

@iOS: I could access 1PW within apps that require an password. However I only can switch between vaults but can’t look into the mail category.

• Ben
    Options

My apologies; you were in the right place. Not sure why I had macOS in my mind. :) Drag and drop is also possible on iPadOS, though:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-ios/#drag-and-drop-to-fill-in-other-apps-on-your-ipad

but I remember that Big Sur has an option for filling apps

Indeed, but for usernames and passwords only, not other fields I'm afraid. Additionally we ran into some difficulty while trying to implement this for 1Password for Mac and as a result we do not yet have integration with the macOS Password Autofill feature.

I could access 1PW within apps that require an password. However I only can switch between vaults but can’t look into the mail category.

In the 1Password for iOS app you cannot see the Email Account category? You wouldn't see it in the iOS Password Autofill feature because we can't fill from that category. We only show categories we can fill from within Password Autofill. As with the same feature on macOS, it can only fill usernames and passwords.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.