Happen to have 1password back in 2015 and now cannot sync because I cannot remember old password

KRPX
KRPX
Community Member

Found existing 1password data back in the 2015 on my icloud but I cannot sync because I forget the password of my old vault. Is there anything I can do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:icloud

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Is there anything I can do?

If it is a local vault, I think this vault is lost if you can't remember the password you protected this vault with...

• KRPX
    KRPX
    Community Member

how about I just want to back up new 1password to icloud instead? but it does not allow me to do so. It only asks me to merge option.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KRPX:

I am sorry to hear about this. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you are trying to configure an old standalone vault, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password

how about I just want to back up new 1password to icloud instead? but it does not allow me to do so. It only asks me to merge option.

You should see an option named Erase iCloud Data under 1Password Settings > Advanced, if you are absolutely sure you will not be able to remember this Master Password, and you would like to start with a new empty vault.

• KRPX
    KRPX
    Community Member

Hi, I would like to Erase iCloud data. But it doesn't allow. I saw only merge option which required old password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KRPX:

Can you try these instructions to erase your existing 1Password data in iCloud and see if you can then setup sync again?

Reset iCloud data in 1Password

• KRPX
    KRPX
    Community Member

@ag_anan this solves my problem! I need to delete first from my mac

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

this solves my problem!

That's great to hear @KRPX! Please keep us posted in case you hit any obstacle :)

This discussion has been closed.