1Password unable to fill in password field

Options
randian
randian
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Check out https://fairfield.webguest.us. 1Password correctly obtains the name of the form field that the password should be pasted to when you save a login, but seems unable to actually paste it. The field isn't paste blocked, regular paste from the keyboard works fine. I am using Safari.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @randian,

Thank you for sending the website that doesn't play nicely with 1Password. I confirm that since the site's password field uses unorthodox "type" and "name" attributes, it makes it difficult for 1Password to detect correctly. In this case, please try these steps to create a custom field for the password field and let me know how it works.

Select the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Search for your site login item > Edit > Paste this exact string to the "label" field: UPW_JQM > Enter your password in "new field" > Click the T icon at the end > Select "Tel" > Save > Try again.

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

Adding a new Section item, with type set to Phone (not Tel, no such choice), label set to UPW_JQM, and the field value set to my password, did allow 1Password to start pasting the password. Why does this work, the new Section item has no obvious link to the Saved Form Details?

• Hello @randian.

It is great to hear that 1Password fills correctly after creating a custom field. 1Password fills a website using the information it can collect from the HTML structure of the site. When it sees an input field, 1Password will start looking for helpful information to determine if it should appear and works, such as the name and type attributes. Usually, a developer will name their username and password field something that easy to detect, such as "username" and "password" or anything similar and 1Password can understand. However, the password field on your website does not indicate that it is the password field in the HTML, which makes it impossible for 1Password to tell if it should work on the field.

By making a custom field and giving the correct name and type of the field 1Password should search for in the HTML, we help 1Password know what it should look for and fill on the site.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you need more information.

Best regards,

Nhat Nguyen.
    https://support.1password.com/

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

In that case, it seems like 1Password has a bug, because in the Saved Form Details I have an item with label UPW_JQM, type = password, field = key. Why couldn't 1Password match the label name in Save Form Details with the name of the HTML password field and do the insertion without the additional Section item?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @randian .

We're moving away form the saved form details section and hoping to deprecated it in the near future. We've moved the abilities of the saved form details to custom fields for better visibility and ease of use, as most users don't even know the saved form details section exist, where it is and what it does.

I hope that clarifies the situation :)

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

Ok, but one important feature of the Saved Form Details section is an item in that section that is marked as Username or Password automatically updates its data when the primary username or password fields are updated. I don't see such functionality in the custom fields.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's because the username/password fields are actually inside the saved form details. These are the only two fields that exist both in the main item view and in the saved form details, no other field would behave that way.

If you use a custom field, then you are not using it for the username/password field so there is no need for it to update automatically when you change the username/password.

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

Not so, read this thread prior to your post. I had to use a custom field containing the password to make 1Password work.

• ag_chantelle
    edited July 2021
    Options

@randian

That's right, if the form you're attempting to autofill is properly coded then Saved Form Details will capture any changes you make to said field(s). The challenge with this site in particular is that the HTML type of their password field is coded as tel, which to 1Password indicates that this is a "telephone" or "phone" number field. Saved Form Details will only save username or password types to correspond with the username and password fields of your Login item. Having the field in Saved Form Details mapped to the correct HTML id for this field will still fail, since 1Password won't fill a password into non-password fields. I hope this makes sense? Let us know if you have any questions, or if there is anything else we can do to help.

This discussion has been closed.