Updated Apple ID password not updating on 1Password

rollerotr
rollerotr
Community Member

I went to the Apple login page on my mac to change my simple Apple password. I used the "suggestion" password that 1Password supplied. I copied it down, just in case. When I logged out of the Apple site and tried to log in, Apple would not accept what 1Password presented as the password. So, I manually entered the "suggestion" password. Apple would not accept it nor did 1Password update the autofill. 1Password still had the old password listed.

Then, I went back to Apple login, clicked forgot password, and set up a new password manually....but 1Password continues to present the old password on autofill. I have signed out of 1Password, rebooted the mac, signed back in but autofill continues to only show the old password. Can you help?

1Password Version: 7.8.6 (1Password Store)
Extension Version: 2.0.4 Chrome 1Pass Beta
OS Version: OS X 11.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rollerotr ,

When you changed your password, did a popup from 1Password showed up asking if you'd like to save/update the new password? Did you select to update the existing login?

Does this also happen if you try to generate a custom password? https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/#create-a-custom-password

• rollerotr
    rollerotr
    Community Member

I have 2 party authentication turned on to manage my Apple account. When I changed the password with a 1Password generated one, Apple appeared to accept it. In retrospect, 2 party authentication was not triggered and I don't recall a 1Password popup. Later, I created my own password and got the popup.

It worked on my mac, but the new password did not populate to my iphone until I opened the 1Password app, clicked on password autofill, and it reported passwords updated. Is there an easier way? And what is the 1Password browser?

• rollerotr
    rollerotr
    Community Member

Is it safe and easier to enable a pin code on the ios app?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rollerotr ,

I'm not entirely sure I understand the flow of events here, but this is how changing passwords should work in your browser: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

1Password should pop up after you select a new password and ask you if you want to update your record with the new password. Alternatively, you can click the "Save in 1Password" button that shows up under the field(s) and trigger that prompt yourself to update the record.

It worked on my mac, but the new password did not populate to my iphone until I opened the 1Password app, clicked on password autofill, and it reported passwords updated. Is there an easier way?

Syncing might take some time if the app is closed. If you need the new password on your iPhone immediately, simply open the 1Password app and it will force sync on the spot.

And what is the 1Password browser?

If you are referring to the 1Password browser in the 1Password app on your iPhone - that is a built-in browser our app offers, but it doesn't have much advantage over Safari on your iPhone so you can stick to Safari.

Is it safe and easier to enable a pin code on the ios app?

It is safer and easier to enable Touch ID or Face ID unlock if your iPhone supports it.

I recommend you go over our iOS guide to get the best out of 1Password on your iPhone: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-ios/

• rollerotr
    rollerotr
    Community Member

My iphone 12 pro max has face ID (which I have not enabled), but the cell contains only personal info. My cell is never locked but physically secure, and I find that very convenient vs. staring directly into the phone each time I want to access the weather, news, twitter, Facebook, etc. That leaves me with thinking about using a pin code to unlock the 1Password master code that I seem to have to enter frequently even though I have 1Password set to the maximum 1 hour. Because the phone is always in my presence, I wish I could keep the 1Password app open longer.

If you have any suggestions for a retired person who uses the iphone for personal use only, I would appreciate it. Meanwhile, I will review the support links you posted. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rollerotr:

Using Face ID (since your device supports it) would be much nicer than having to enter your Master Password all the time to unlock the 1Password app, which is the only other alternative to unlock the app. If you still don't want to enable Face ID, you can change the auto-lock settings in 1Password for iOS, which gives you some options here.

If you open and unlock 1Password on your iOS device, and then select Settings > Security, you’ll find these settings and options:

1. Lock on Exit: 1Password will lock when you leave the app or lock your device.
    2. Auto-Lock: 1Password will lock after the specified amount of time has elapsed.

Depending on your preferences, you can try changing these options the way you see fit, and try to find a balance that works for you :+1:

• rollerotr
    rollerotr
    Community Member

Unfortunately auto-lock is 1 hour maximum. I wish Auto-lock could be turned off or at least 24 hours or more.

Is there a good reason to not use a pin code to unlock 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rollerotr:

It's for security reasons: a strong Master Password or Face ID are safer unlocking mechanisms than a PIN, which is short and made only of digits. In addition, the experience of biometric unlock is also nicer and quicker than having to type something, if the device supports it.

• rollerotr
    rollerotr
    Community Member

It seems that the phone would have to be in the wrong hands. But I read that the Master password is stored in the Apple keychain.

I do find it time consuming to enter the master code so often. So I guess I'll give i'll give face ID a try. Can you tell me the steps to take in the 1Password app?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021

Hey @rollerotr ,

While having your phone always around you does give some sense of protection and security - you only need to have it lost/stolen once to give someone else full access and control over your digital life (and more, if you store documents/photos in your 1Password as well). That is why we do recommend locking both your device (whether it is a phone or a computer) and 1Password itself. A pin code is not secure enough and can easily be guessed/cracked, but Touch/Face ID are very secure :chuffed:

Here's how to set up Face ID: https://support.1password.com/face-id/

• rollerotr
    rollerotr
    Community Member

Thank you, support team!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad we could help!

This discussion has been closed.