Flatpak Chromium requires password

okand
okand
Community Member

Hi there.

I'm running Chromium as a flatpak and 1Password always asks me for a password to unlock there. The desktop app integration works fine with Firefox though. It is probably something with the sandboxing that flatpak does but I have no idea what to do to allow Chromium to talk with 1Password.

The com.1password.1password.json file is where it should be because the Chromium flatpak exposes those folders by default. I used an application called Flatseal to add permission for the Chromium flatpak to also access /opt/1Password but that appears to not be enough.

Any ideas what else might be needed?

1Password Version: 8.1.0-60.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Pop_os 20.10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dayton_ag
    edited June 2021

Hi there @okand, thanks so much for writing in!

You hit the nail on the head there - Flatpak sandboxes the applications in such a manner that it's not possible for browser integration to be established.

To take advantage of browser integration between the desktop app and browser, I would suggest installing Chromium from an installer file or through Terminal/Aptitude.

Let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

• JakeL
    JakeL
    Community Member

I assume that snaps have the same limitation with sandboxing that Flatpaks do?

(Been struggling for a few days trying to figure out why this wasn't working and I think it's the Chromium snap. :( )

• Hey there @JakeL, I'm really sorry for the difficulty! Yes, using the Snap version of 1Password or your preferred browser will not allow the browser integration to start and connect due to sandboxing. To get up and running, I suggest installing both browser and 1Password from Terminal. :smile:

• JakeL
    JakeL
    Community Member

I feared that was the case. Ubuntu makes it very difficult to install Chromium without snap. Thanks for the confirmation!

• @jakeL No problem - sorry about that! Let me know if you run into any issues with browser integration once you've got non-Snap Chromium installed - I'll be happy to help out. :smile:

• Furro
    Furro
    Community Member

Hi, is there no way to enable browser integration, in my case with a flatpak-installed Firefox and 1Password using portals? Seeing as you soon want to distribute 1Password as flatpak as well, this will come up again. And a sandboxed browser is certainly no deal-breaker for browser integration with 1Password. It is just a matter if you guys want to support that.

• We are tracking an open request with the Flatpak team, but without access to the kernel keyring from both 1Password and from the browser, we have no ability to safely set up a communication channel between them. There are similar limitations with Snaps.

This discussion has been closed.