New update 7.8.4 / lock state sharing between desktop app and browser

2»

Comments

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member

Never mind, I just figured out that I needed to "pin" it and got the icon back.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

I have 2 subsidiary question :

Will version 2 of the extension also work in private mode ? The actual version doesn't react when clicked on it.
    if the answer to question 1 is yes, will the extension automatically share the 1password app state, even if Firefox is in private mode, or will this mode prevent that and force a new connection every time the browser is open in private mode ?

After testing, the answer is no... :(

Well, I did some more testing and the extension is working in a new private windows, where apparently it can use the browser's local storage, but it's not working if you have the "always open in private mode" enabled, where the extension cannot use the browser's local storage. I didn't know Firefox was working differently depending on these two options...

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@ag_ana As mentioned above, lock state sharing was working great for a while after I installed the 2.0.1 extension, but then (sigh) it stopped working, in both Chrome and Firefox. I emailed the logs as instructed, but the autoreply I got did not include a ticket number.

From the Chrome log:

06:03:42.428 background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.

I had previously checked to see if the 1Password file was in the Native Message Hosts folder per @rudy, and it is (see below). But maybe out of date?

• larryv
    larryv
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

This also isn't working for me, in either Chrome or Firefox. I don't deem this a critical issue, so I haven't tried anything beyond restarting the 1Password Extension Helper, reinstalling the Chrome extension, and restarting Chrome a few times, but I'd be happy to provide logs or other data. (Firefox takes literally 15 minutes to restore my ~600-tab session, so hopefully you'll understand my reluctance to restart it or my machine.)

"Integrate with 1Password app" is enabled in both extensions.

% ls -n@ Library/'Application Support'/**/NativeMessagingHosts ~
    Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts:
    total 16
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 501  20   546B Nov 27  2018 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json
        com.apple.quarantine      59B 
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 501  20   432B May 28 21:53 com.1password.1password7.json

Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts:
    total 16
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 501  20   331B Dec 27  2018 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 501  20   384B May 28 21:53 com.1password.1password7.json

• macOS 10.14.6 (18G9216) + 1Password 7.8.4 (70804004) (Mac App Store)
    • Chrome 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (x86_64) + 1Password 2.0.1
    • Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit) + 1Password 2.0.1
  • gedankenexperimenter
    gedankenexperimenter
    Community Member

@rudy

You're attempting the "Fill Login or Show 1Password" or the "Show 1Password" keyboard shortcut?

I'm using Mac OS & Chrome, both up to date, and the shortcut +\.

With the "classic" extension, starting from a state where 1Password is locked, this opens 1Password Mini, and prompts me to unlock it, which I does not require me to reach for the mouse. With 1Password unlocked, it simply fills the username and password fields.

With the new extension (version 2.0.1 now), if 1Password is locked, nothing happens when I type +\. Or maybe, sometimes, it pops up a small graphic in the password field that I cannot interact with using the keyboard alone; it requires me to reach for the mouse, which is far more cumbersome. With it unlocked, it fills as it used to, at least some of the time. Overall, the new extension is far less pleasant to use than the "classic" one.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@gedankenexperimenter Yep, that's the tradeoff. There's no keyboard shortcut for fill in the new extension. Despite being a longtime user of the keyboard shortcut, I came to prefer the new extension because inserting one-time passwords and creating new passwords is so effortless.

I don't know if working in Safari is an option for you, but it is the best of both worlds, with both the inline menu and the keyboard shortcut.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@benmattison:

As mentioned above, lock state sharing was working great for a while after I installed the 2.0.1 extension, but then (sigh) it stopped working, in both Chrome and Firefox. I emailed the logs as instructed, but the autoreply I got did not include a ticket number.

Thank you for the update! I confirm that I have managed to locate your messages in our system :+1: I will let you continue the conversation with my colleague Yaron over there :+1:

ref: JIQ-66964-137

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@clarino:

Why are there two setting screens?

There really is just one setting screen, or at least just one for the 1Password extension: the first settings area you showed is in Chrome, I am not sure if external developers can actually add all the settings there. And even if we could, I think it would not be very useful since 1Password must decrypt its information before you can change its settings (as an example, you would not be able to choose your default vault from your vault list unless you are already in the extension).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tetardbleu:

Well, I did some more testing and the extension is working in a new private windows, where apparently it can use the browser's local storage, but it's not working if you have the "always open in private mode" enabled, where the extension cannot use the browser's local storage. I didn't know Firefox was working differently depending on these two options...

1Password should work in Firefox even with that option enabled, but it needs the setting to remember history to be enabled. Can you confirm it is indeed enabled for you under Firefox Preferences > Privacy & Security > History?

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks for your explanation of the two setting screens. For the future, I recommend your explanations (and official documentation) keep this possible confusion in mind. In my case, I didn't have 1P pinned so getting to that "other" setting screen was obscure indeed and I kept returning to the more obvious (and wrong) setting screen, puzzled why it didn't resemble yours.

• gedankenexperimenter
    gedankenexperimenter
    Community Member

@benmattison — inserting one-time passwords was already effortless, using the same keyboard shortcut. I guess I'll just go back to using the classic extension until it no longer works.

No, Safari is not an option. It may work better with 1Password, but it's worse for literally everything else.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

@ag_ana

1Password should work in Firefox even with that option enabled, but it needs the setting to remember history to be enabled. Can you confirm it is indeed enabled for you under Firefox Preferences > Privacy & Security > History?

I can't select "remember history" (greyed out) if I have enabled "always open in private mode" which seems logical because both options seems antagonistic.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gedankenexperimenter ,

You can press CMD+OPTION(ALT)+\ to call 1Password to unlock, at which point CMD+\ will also work when it is unlocked.
    The new 1Password in the browser should autofill 2FA codes automatically after it successfully fills usernames and passwords, so it should be a lot easier than the classic extension in which you had to initiate autofill for every step of the login process.

@tetardbleu That's correct. Firefox changed the settings page not too long ago and now it is no longer possible to set "Remember History" when "Always Use Private Browsing" is enabled. You will have to turn off "Always use private browsing" and launch a private browsing window manually to get 1Password working in that mode.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @clarino, thank you for the feedback! I will be happy to pass the suggestions to our documentation team :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@larryv:

If you could send us some logs, we will be happy to take a look at them :+1:

• gedankenexperimenter
    gedankenexperimenter
    Community Member

@ag_yaron — I'll give that a try, but the extra cognitive load of having to remember yet another shortcut for when 1Password is locked (which I either need to also track in my head or take the extra step of checking the tiny icon in the browser's extension area for an even tinier lock state indicator—an icon, I might add, that I would prefer to keep hidden, and have no need of with the "classic" extension…or I can suffer the frustration of using the primary shortcut, waiting to see if it fails (which takes an unpredictable, non-zero length of time), gritting my teeth, and reminding myself of the secondary shortcut, and cursing the bad UX designers who disabled the shortcut…or I can just always use both shortcuts, which will waste time every time I fill a password) — that cost so much greater than the savings of having the occasional OTP filled for me without having to repeat the shortcut that I just used, and takes about a tenth of a second…

I can see how the new extension is good for people who don't know how to efficiently use their keyboards, but I'm extremely unlikely to switch to the harder-to-use extension unless I have to.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional feedback @gedankenexperimenter .

You can go into your 1Password desktop app's preferences -> General -> Switch between the CMD+\ and CMD+ALT+\ shortcuts, so that you may still use CMD+\ and it will behave like CDM+ALT+\ does right now.

This was not something we changed or removed - the new extension originally did not support CMD+\ but we've added it recently. It's not perfect yet, but it works to some extent. Hopefully we can improve it further in upcoming updates.

• Chris247
    Chris247
    Community Member

I just upgraded 1Password for Mac to 7.8.5, and now the lock state syncs with Chrome. I was previously using version 7.8.4 and couldn't get it to work. I don't know if something was fixed in 7.8.5 or it was just luck, but now it seems to work correctly. I'm using version 2.0.1 of the 1Password extension in Chrome.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know @Chris247 !

Indeed, there was an improvement for the integration in the latest update. I'm glad to hear it helped you out!

• gedankenexperimenter
    gedankenexperimenter
    Community Member

You can go into your 1Password desktop app's preferences -> General -> Switch between the CMD+\ and CMD+ALT+\ shortcuts, so that you may still use CMD+\ and it will behave like CDM+ALT+\ does right now.

This is no help at all. In fact, with everything updated (OS, Chrome, Chrome extension, and 1Password), trying to log in on this website is just awful with the new extension. Swapping the shortcuts is pointless; I can just use the other shortcut, so I didn't bother. Using the cmd + \ shortcut with the old extension just works, prompting me to unlock 1Password if necessary, and filling the username and password fields. Using the cmd + option + \ shortcut also works fine, though it does require me to also tap enter to confirm once 1Password Mini opens.

Using the new extension, if 1Password is locked, the cmd + \ shortcut silently fails, and the cmd + option + \ shortcut allows me to unlock it. If it's unlocked, the cmd + \ shortcut works just as well as the old extension, but the cmd + option + \ shortcut opens 1Password Mini, with the correct entry selected, but when I then press enter to use it, instead of filling the username and password fields, it opens a new browser tab for the website's login page, but doesn't fill anything.

With the new extension, two separate shortcuts are required, and the user must know if 1Password is locked in order to get expected behaviour on the first try.

This was not something we changed or removed - the new extension originally did not support CMD+\ but we've added it recently. It's not perfect yet, but it works to some extent. Hopefully we can improve it further in upcoming updates.

That's rather disingenuous. I'm obviously comparing the UX of the old extension to the new one. From the point of view of simply using 1Password with Chrome, this is a regression. I do hope you get it working, and take seriously the concerns of people who prefer not to use a mouse when a keyboard is a more efficient tool, rather than trying to dismiss them as you did at first with my complaint.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gedankenexperimenter ,
    Thanks for the additional info and input here.

I apologize if my reply sounded dismissive - it most certainly was not written as such. The integration of the new extension with the desktop app is still early stages and therefor does not contain all the features of the desktop app's shortcuts, and that's understandable for a new feature. We did not remove anything or change anything that broke it - this part just never existed with the new extension and we're adding it bit-by-bit, so things should improve in upcoming updates indeed.

If you are keen on using the keyboard only, while sticking to the new extension, I'd recommend getting yourself familiarized with the extension's own shortcuts: https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/#1password-in-chrome-firefox-edge-and-brave

I can definitely understand how this feels like a regression to you as you are so accustomed to the Classic extension's shortcuts and behavior, but this is a completely different and new experience and we're working on fine-tuning it. :)

Thanks again for the input, it is very much appreciated! I'll forward it to our development team.

• iFalc
    iFalc
    Community Member

Hello (@ag_ana ),
    I created this post because the integration between desktop app and browser extension didn't work. The trouble has been fixed when I updated the browser extension in version 2.0.0. I'm now in version 2.0.4, and the lock state sharing no longer works, like @benmattison. In the browser extension settings, the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting is however turned on.
    Thanks for your help

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@iFalc I am not having an problems with lock state sharing with the 2.0.4 extension. What version of the desktop app are you running? The update to 7.8.5 on June 1 fixed the problem for me. 7.8.6 also seems to work fine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@iFalc:

It's also worth trying to turn of the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting, and then right back on again, to see if this is just a temporary disconnection, perhaps after the update to the latest version.

• iFalc
    iFalc
    Community Member

Hi @benmattison @ag_ana,
    I'm using the last version 7.8.6. According to your suggestions I tried to turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting, and then right back on again, but not successful. I used the extension log, see attached file : the desktop app port is seen as disconnected....
    So I tried to uninstall the desktop app and the browser extension, and install back both agin ; and as strange as it seems to be, now it works fine ! However I attached the log to try to understand the trouble before uninstall/reinstall.

• iFalc
    iFalc
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

Hi @benmattison @ag_ana,
    I'm using the last version 7.8.6. According to your suggestions I tried to turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting, and then right back on again, but not successful. I used the extension log, see attached file : the desktop app port is seen as disconnected....
    So I tried to uninstall the desktop app and the browser extension, and install back both agin ; and as strange as it seems to be, now it works fine ! However I attached the log to try to understand the trouble before uninstall/reinstall.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

So I tried to uninstall the desktop app and the browser extension, and install back both agin ; and as strange as it seems to be, now it works fine !

That's nice to hear @iFalc, thank you for the update! And thank you also for sharing the logs :+1:

This discussion has been closed.