Settings for password generator in browser extension

iphoneuser
iphoneuser
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi
Are there separate settings (somewhere that I have been unable to locate) for the password suggestions that pop up when clicking in text field that the 1P browser extension does not recognize as an existing password? For example, a new login or a password reset field? When I generate a new password in the 1P app or 1P mini or even the browser extension button, I can adjust the settings for the new password. I see that in all three places the password generator settings are respected. Currently I have that set to generate a "memorable password". But the pop up password generator only suggests a "random password" with no controls for length, digits, symbols, etc.
What am I missing?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 7.8.6
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iphoneuser!

Currently I have that set to generate a "memorable password". But the pop up password generator only suggests a "random password" with no controls for length, digits, symbols, etc.

You can set the options for the password generator in the 1Password browser extension if you would like a different default. Here are the options you can choose from:

For example, if you would like control over the length random password, you can choose the Random Password option:

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana
    These menus don't look anything like what I see (Safari, 1P 7.8.6).
    If I click on the extension button in Safari, I can click on "+ Generate Password" and I do see the options in your screenshots (although they don't look like what you show). However, the pop up menu that appears when I click on a text field shows no options and only a "random password".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@iphoneuser:

Thank you for confirming that you are using Safari as your browser, the extension there is indeed a different one. The generated password that you see below the form fields currently cannot be changed there: it generates a password that is secure enough, and that should also be accepted on the majority of websites without requiring any other interaction. If you need more control over the generated passwords for whatever reason, then using the "+ Generate Password" menu is the right choice for Safari :+1:

For reference, the screenshots in my previous reply are taken from the 1Password in your browser extension in Chrome, in case you need to use a different browser too :+1:

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

Ah, got it. Not a Chrome fan but thanks for the information.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @iphoneuser! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• emoscaritolo
    emoscaritolo
    Community Member

@ag_ana I am using the browser extension in Chrome and I don't see settings anywhere to customize what I want my generated passwords to look like. For example, right now I am trying to change a password for an existing account, but the password cannot contain any special characters so none of the passwords generated by 1p will work.

• @emoscaritolo

If you're using the new version of 1Password for Chrome, the Password Generator will allow you to adjust the preferences of the suggested passwords. You can do so as follows:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click "+", and choose Password Generator.
    3. Change the Type to "Random Password".
    4. From here you can set the preferences like length, and wether or not you wish to have numbers and symbols included.
    5. Once you have the password set to your preferences, you can either "Copy" or "Autofill" from here.

If you're using the 1Password classic extension, let me know and I'll be happy to share those instructions instead.

This discussion has been closed.