1P Master Password Prompt

When 1P auto starts is there a setting that will bring up the prompt to input the 1P master password?

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @allawrence!

Do you mean if the main desktop window can launch automatically, so you can enter the Master Password without having to manually open the app? Or are you referring to something else?

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Yes, as stated. "main desktop window can launch automatically, so you can enter the Master Password without having to manually open the app". Not relying on my senior memory .... ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@allawrence:

Thank you for the clarification. Have you already added 1Password to the apps that run automatically at startup in Windows 10?

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

The setting in 1PW "Start 1P automatically when I sign into Windows" IS turned on and the icon visually presents itself in the system tray. However, it requires it be 'clicked' on to force a password screen to display...

• Hi @allawrence 👋

While there's no way to do this from within 1Password, you can always follow this Microsoft Guide to set 1Password to run and open automatically with Windows Startup.

To create a shortcut for 1Password: Right-click on your desktop, click New, then Shortcut and then in the window that appears, enter C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe into the box and click Next.

From there, simply click Finish, and drag it on into the startup folder as directed in the guide from Microsoft linked earlier. That should do it! 😊

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

And click off the "Start 1P automatically when I sign into Windows" option or leave it as is?

• I've left that option enabled when testing this, so you should too!

Let me know if this is what you were looking for! 😊

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Finally had a chance to try this as I don't boot every day. All works just fine... thank you!

Since I do not boot frequently, I was wondering if you had another 'magic trick' to do the same for when I wake the laptop from overnight sleep.

• I'm glad to hear that did the trick!

That said, I do not have a solution you could use for when you're waking your laptop from sleep. I'm afraid you'll still need to manually open 1Password in those cases.

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

OK, so I wake the computer, forget to login to 1P and start the Chrome browser and go back and login to desktop 1P. Once in a while Chrome detects the desktop login and starts Chrome 1P in about 10 seconds or less..... perfect.

Most of the time Chrome 1P does not detect the desktop login. I then attempt to login to the Chrome 1P. Popup appears indicating 1P is loading, NEVER to load. I then try a REFRESH of Chrome and subsequent login attempts produce the "loading" pop up....

If I kill the Chrome browser and restart 1P logins in automatically ....

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@allawrence:

Our developers were aware of this, and added a fix in the latest version of the 1Password browser extension, version 2.0.4. Can you confirm if you have already upgraded, or if you are still using version 2.0.2 like you did when you opened this discussion?

Let us know if you are seeing this behavior also on the latest extension :+1:

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

I wasn't running 2.0.4 because it hadn't installed at the time... I have been running 2.0.4 since it was auto installed and the problem persists. Again, irregularly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@allawrence:

Thank you for the confirmation. If this happens again, can you please send us some logs so we can take a closer look for you?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

VTT-67959-876

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@allawrence:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: VTT-67959-876

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

So far installing the 2.0.5 Beta has eliminated the perpetual "Loading" popup

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @allawrence! That's great to hear :+1:

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Well, the Beta worked well for a few days. This morning, woke up laptop, opened Chrome and then logged into Windows 1 P and Chrome 1P failed to detect Windows 1P was logged in.

Started the 1P Forums in Chrome and it popped up the login box, clicked the box and the "keyboard 1P login combo" displayed. Clicked on the 1P icon in the box and that caused Chrome 1P to login with the 1P Forums login info in the drop down. (Note: never used the "keyboard combo" to login).... MAGIC!

All worked from that point.... a few days reprieve and back to the annoyance.

Although not desirable one could always turn off the security setting "Locked when computer is locked" ...

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2021

Hi @allawrence! Thanks for letting us know how it's going.

Is it correct to say that:

1. You had an issue in which Chrome didn't seem to register that you'd logged into 1Password
    2. The 1Password beta seemed to fix this issue for a while
    3. and now the issue has returned?

If that's the case, feel free to message our team at support+windows@1Password.com. We'll be happy to help you with this!

And in case it's helpful, I personally love the keyboard shortcut ctrl + shift + x, which opens 1Password in your browser directly so you can auto-fill passwords into websites. Highly recommend giving it a try!

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member
    1. YES
    2. YES
    3. YES

This is an interesting twist... I posted everything in this forum originally and the forum support person sent it to a "developer" and now I have to send everything I posted to another email address? Why would you not have the ability to pass it along the same route?

I am familiar with the shortcut but would prefer not to use shortcuts... rather the issue be fixed.

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2021

Hi @allawrence,

I apologize if my last response was frustrating. I was only responding to the issue you posted here, and by giving you that email address was offering to help in a channel where, if necessary, we can troubleshoot technical issues that for reasons of security it would not be possible to discuss in a forum. In other words, I was offering to help you with it directly by giving you the email address to which I respond. I'm still happy to do so! Would you like us to follow up on this issue?

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Just do what was done before, send it to the support level next in line. I am sure they have the ability to correspond with whomever they feel they need to.

Meanwhile this issue remains to be VERY erratic in that it will work fine for a day or 2 and then it decides not to and I must close the browser and start it again.

• Hi Al,

I understand that you have a ticket conversation with us (the VTT one). The most effective way for us to help you will be for you to reply to the conversation there, to make sure we don't talk past each other or miss any updates from you. It's always best if all the info is in one place! That way we can help you as rapidly as possible and get this resolved. Thanks again for letting us know about the issue. 👍

This discussion has been closed.