1password extension causes browser crash when used in an iframe within another iframe

Hi,

I'm a developer on the engineering team at Catch (https://www.getcatch.com/) and we've been experiencing a problem in our app that appears to be caused by using the 1password extension (in Chrome and Safari). In the case of Chrome, this issue occurs when using the latest version of Chrome (91.0.4472.114) on OSX (11.4), along with the latest version of the 1Password extension (2.0.4), and occurs only if the extension is enabled.

In our app, we are displaying a form (with username and password fields) in an iframe, which in turn is displayed inside of another iframe (this issue appears to only occur specifically when there's one iframe within another). In this scenario, focusing on either of the input fields in the form and starting to type causes the entire browser to crash (to the point where it can only be force quit in order to recover). Sometimes the browser crashes immediately, and sometimes it gradually slows down before eventually crashing within the about 10 seconds. In Chrome, immediately prior to the crash, a warning is logged to the console that says: "Throttling navigation to prevent the browser from hanging. See https://crbug.com/882238. Command line switch --disable-ipc-flooding-protection can be used to bypass the protection."

Has anyone experienced something along this line, and would it be possible to connect with someone on the 1password engineering team to assist in debugging this (and discuss the issue we're experiencing in more detail)?

• Lev

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.0.4
OS Version: OSX 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• joaniehollberg
    joaniehollberg
    Community Member

Hi I am also a developer at Catch. To provide additional information here on the issue we are seeing, here is the crash dump from Chrome that is occurring in the scenario above that Lev is describing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f-wdiRYoqdOwapN5vWUQWmBI4w2kzdqg/view?usp=sharing

The specific log [15253:775:0708/153629.186919:INFO:CONSOLE(2)] "URL for frame [object Promise] tab 2", source: chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/background/background.js (2) is what occurs right when I click into the credential field and start typing.

After that it appears that the 1Password extension is continuously trying to launch:
    file_url_loader_factory.cc(457)] FileURLLoader::Start: file:///Users/joanhollberg/Library/Application%20Support/Google/Chrome/Profile%203/Extensions/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/

and continuously (and increasingly) logging this one line:
    "URL for frame [object Promise] tab 2", source: chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/background/background.js (2)

Eventually Chrome locks up completely and won't work anymore.

Any help would be much appreciated!

For reference: Crash dump logs

• Hi @levkanter and @joaniehollberg, thanks for reaching out! I've sent you both an email - looking forward to speaking more.

ref: IZL-74132-323

This discussion has been closed.