Mac app refuses to accept password but works on web

Options
MRubenzahl
MRubenzahl
Community Member

Paid user w family account. I have my Emergency Kit but not sure if I have the right password.

I can log in to my.1password.com using my email address, secret key, and password. But when I use the 1Password app on my Mac, it says "Enter your Master Password" and the password doesn't work.

Note that my intent is to wipe it all away and start over. Months ago, I exported from LastPass and imported but I plan to wipe that out and redo it anyway.

1Password Version: 7.8.6 (70806001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MRubenzahl!

Do you have a Primary vault stored in your 1Password for Mac? The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

In your case, it sounds like your 1Password app has a local vault, which is why you are being asked for a different Master Password.

• MRubenzahl
    MRubenzahl
    Community Member
    Options

I think you're right but how do I fix it? I would be happy with an answer that erases my local vault, as there is nothing in there of value.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MRubenzahl:

If you are sure that there is nothing in your Primary vault that you need, you can remove it:

1. With 1Password for Mac open, from the menu bar choose Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    2. Choose Vault > Delete Vault.

Please let us know how it goes!

• MRubenzahl
    MRubenzahl
    Community Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

I don't have the password. When I open 1Password for Mac app, it asks for the password that is not working and the Vault menu is dimmed.

• Ben
    Options

@MRubenzahl

Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password data will reset 1Password for Mac to factory defaults, so you can sign in fresh with your 1Password account. Please make sure all of your data is available to you via https://my.1password.com/ and that you have your Emergency Kit printed before proceeding.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Any data that does not show on my.1password.com may be erased by the procedure.

Ben

• MRubenzahl
    MRubenzahl
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, @Ben, that is what I needed to know. Problem resolved.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear it, @MRubenzahl. :+1: If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.