Support for Vivaldi Browser

13»

Comments

• siebica
    siebica
    Community Member

Thanks @peri. I have already asked them about 1Password support some time back. For us, it's not clear who is responsible for integrating this feature but given your reply, it's on their side. I guess they want to promote their in-browser password manager. Having bought 1Password standalone, I am not going to trust Vivaldi with any of my passwords. So it's gonna be swipe left and right until I get tired and switch to another Android browser (e.g. DuckDuckGo - which supports Autofill).

• rmesaric
    rmesaric
    Community Member

Please add me to the list. Not given the chance to use 1passwords in Vivaldi Android ist the only thing making my online life miserable 😉

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for the feedback, noted :+1:

• perfect0square
    perfect0square
    Community Member

I found a way around this problem on my android device, though not the best, works for now. On the Vivaldi forums, https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/41017/1password-support-for-android-version/6 someone suggested turning off autofill and turning on accessibility. It works to allow autofill though not as smooth as with chrome, still works.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @perfect0square! Accessibility is indeed another option :+1:

• siebica
    siebica
    Community Member

It works indeed. Thanks @perfect0square :)

• :+1:

• RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member

First, I'm a brand new 1Password user and want to say how impressed I am with most every aspect of your operation from top to bottom. As a former LastPass user (how did I let the switching costs associated with a first-to-market product royally screw me over again?) and a software developer (my specialty is technical writing, though, with a little packaging on the side) it's such a delight to recognize all the familiar characteristics of an actively developed product from a team of competent professionals. I mostly work in Linux environments at work and home, so the Linux Beta was a huge selling point and my experience with it has largely been very positive and the fact that you produce a native Debian package, no less, warms my heart in ways I should probably mention to my therapist. ;) The fact that I'm not held hostage to some abomination of a Snap package alone is enough to make me want to kiss you all! :)

Oh yeah, back to why I'm here in this thread...I'm also a Vivaldi user (Snapshot release channel, you say? Why, how'd you guess? Desktop and Mobile, ride or die.) and the engagement on this thread alone has already bought the dev team a lot of patience in my ledger as I eagerly anticipate this integration with my fellow Vivaldi-nauts in this thread. I also wanted to drop some breadcrumbs here for those compatriots as regards my current preferred solution for the lack of Autofill on Android with Vivaldi. It's made possible by an app called Tiles (Support Wiki) which does a lot of great things, but chief among them for this problem is giving you the power to create custom tiles in your Quick Settings panel at the top of the notification shade (where you can toggle on WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.), that can trigger just about any app intent present on the device.

I now have a button right next to the one for Bluetooth tied to the 1Password app's mainLaunch intent, meaning when I need a password from within Vivaldi, I can swipe the shade down, tap the tile, and instantly 1Password slides over Vivaldi as the active app, unlocking quickly with biometrics. Now I can quickly search for my credential, copy both username and password to clipboard, then long-press the Recent button, triggering the lastActiveAppToForeground behavior (common to all Android devices since ~v5/Key Lime Pie) and watch Vivaldi slide back on top of 1Password, where I can hit the clipboard button in Swiftkey Keyboard to paste in both the username and password from the list of recent entries. It's not perfect, true, but it's painless enough to have me as chill as the Dalai Lama about the situation rather than less-than-quietly seething, which was pretty much my default state of mind with LastPass for the last couple years. In fact since I only need to swipe the shade down the first time (as long as you haven't left Vivaldi, 1Password continues to be accessible just by long-pressing the Recent button, sometimes I even enjoy the fact that I have ultimate control of the whole process rather than dealing with the Autofill prompt even on sites where I don't record my credentials anywhere except my gray matter. Hopefully this helps anyone who's less sanguine about the current state of affairs than myself.

• Hi @RogueScholar Thanks so much for your great feedback. I've shared your kind words with our Linux team. And thanks for your workaround regarding the Tiles app. I'm sure others will find that helpful.

That said, I'll pass your request for Vivaldi support on to our development team. ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#63

Community Member

Still waiting for native support of 1Password for Android on Vivaldi Browser :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @7502277669, I have passed your message to the developers too :+1:

• whitlabs
    whitlabs
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Another +1 for wanting Android Vivaldi Autofill Service support!

Currently using the Accessibility Service workaround but it's limiting not to have the modern Autofill Service enabled for the whole system.

Also, THANK YOU for adding Windows app and browser extension unlock sync! I'd been waiting impatiently for a year! My desktop workflow/experience is now manageable with biometrics enabled.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @whitlabs, I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the feature :)

• sf49ers65
    sf49ers65
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Some good news in regards to Vivaldi.

The latest Vivaldi snapshot on Android supports autofill (it should be hitting the stable release s soon, but there isn't an ETA), and it does work with 1Password, kinda.

It doesn't automatically bring up a box with the account you're logging into, but it does give you a selection to scroll across along your keyboard and you can manually search for an account. I'm not sure if 1Password needs to update the app for that, or if it's on Vivaldi's developers.

It's not quite where it should be, but it's leagues better then where it was.

• Hi @sf49ers65. Thanks for sharing this great news!

It doesn't automatically bring up a box with the account you're logging into, but it does give you a selection to scroll across along your keyboard and you can manually search for an account.

In Android 11 Google allows password managers to display Autofill results above the keyboard (in supported keyboards) rather than on screen. So when using Autofill, you'll now see results in the keyboard rather than as an on-screen pop up. Make sure the URL in the website field of the login matches the page you're on in order to see the right login for filling.

• sf49ers65
    sf49ers65
    Community Member

Peri, thank you for that information. I really appreciate it.

What I'm seeing is with Vivaldi and 1Password is that when the autofill pops up on the keyboard (I'm using gBoard, I haven't tested it with other keyboards like Swiftkey or Samsung's), it's only bringing up accounts that's I've manually searched for.

I went and tested it with one of my accounts by changing the login website in the 1Password app to the login page that the website gave me and it didn't work.

I have to scroll all the way to the right, select manually search, and then look for whatever account I'm looking for.

From there, it works just fine. It beats what I used to have to do, which was copy and paste.

• peri
    edited May 2021

@sf49ers65 It sounds like Vivaldi is being treated as an app rather than a browser. I'm not sure if this is a bug in their end, since their Autofill implementation is in beta, or what. But I'll share this information with our development team. Thanks!

• davidcmc
    davidcmc
    Community Member

@peri
    @ag_ana

What exactly is preventing 1Password on Android to properly work with Vivaldi browser? Is it true that 1Password must put specific web browsers in some kind of "allowed list"?

I'm using the latest Vivaldi snapshot available on the Play Store, although 1Password still doesn't work 100% with it.

When I touch a login/password field on some website, a bar appears above the keyboard with buttons that allow me to manually search within 1Password saved logins list. However, it's not automatically suggesting a login info based on the currently opened URL. It seems to be acting just like you've described (Vivaldi being treated as an app, rather than a browser).

• peri
    edited July 2021

@davidcmc Vivaldi recently did indeed add Autofill support. Please make sure you have 1Password 7.7.7 in addition to Vivaldi Snapshot. This update was just released, so it may not be immediately available to you, but you should receive it within the next few days.

• davidcmc
    davidcmc
    Community Member

@peri
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I see in the 7.7.7 release notes that 1Password now supports autofill in Vivaldi.
    And yeah, this new update isn't available for me through the Play Store yet. I'll have to wait.
    Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Peri, you are welcome @davidcmc :)

• davidcmc
    davidcmc
    Community Member

@ag_ana

I've been trying some other Android browsers and noticed that Yandex doesn't have support for 1Password.
    Is there any plan to make 1Password work with that Android browser?

Thanks.

• Hey @davidcmc, thank you for reaching back out! I'll pass your request along to our development team.

In the meantime, Autofill with 1Password continues to be supported in other browsers, like Firefox, DuckDuckGo, and as you already know, Vivaldi :)

ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#65

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member

Looks like it's working now with the latest stable releases of Vivaldi and 1Password, with the proper login suggested for most sites. Thank you to everyone involved in making it happen!

One last item, the login field isn't properly recognized for some sites including https://1password.community. Vivaldi lets 1Password autofill the password and I can see the username in the pop-up, but it doesn't actually fill the username. Again this works on Android when using Google Chrome, but not Vivaldi.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPA4#v70707004

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/41017/1password-support-for-android-version/29?page=2

• RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member

Woot woot! I encountered this too last night, when logging into BBVA Compass using Vivaldi Snapshot on Android Q. Just like @nukmicah, I wasn't offered the Autofill for the username field but it worked like gangbusters for the password, resulting in an obligatory "happy dance" in my chair.

I'm not complaining about the login prompt either, mind you; to see this functionality implemented so quickly after requesting it is near-miraculous! Mostly I just wanted to stop in and say thank you to everyone on the team that made it happen, and share the URL where the username field wasn't detected for any internal bug squashing efforts as it gets polished.

• On behalf of 1Password and everyone involved, you're very welcome @nukmicah and @RogueScholar! I'm beyond happy you're both enjoying using Autofill with 1Password in Vivaldi :)

Also, thank you both for bringing these filling issues to our attention. I will pass these reports to our development team.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with :)

This discussion has been closed.