Why do I get error message saying "Cannot open 1Password data"

AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member

Lately, when I first try to open my 1Password desktop app, I get an error message saying, "Cannot open 1Password Data. This copy of 1Password cannot open your data. The most likely cause is insufficient permissions, and not a problem with the data itself. Please contact customer support for a solution." However, the 2nd time I try to open 1Password, it opens normally. Please send me the solution ASAP.

And, I don't know if this is related, but since installing the latest browser extension in my Firefox browser, it seems to ask for my main password a LOT. I have the security settings in my desktop app set to lock after computer is idle for 120 mins.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 2.0.4
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot open 1Password Data

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMCarter3!

This copy of 1Password cannot open your data.

It sounds like you might have multiple copies of the 1Password app on your device. If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see more than one 1Password app there?

Alternatively, do you have an external disk connected with a backup?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I have only one 1P app in my applications folder. I do have an external clone backup and Time Machine backup. They are always connected to my laptop. I have never seen this error message in all the many years I have used 1P. What's more strange is that the 1P app opens on the 2nd or 3rd try. After it has opened once, I can open it again without seeing the error message... until the next morning.

• @AMCarter3

We recommend adding an exception for the 1Password app to any clones or Time Machine drives that you may be using. I suspect you may be running up against that. Or perhaps 1Password has been added to your login items on the Mac.

If you see “extra copies of 1Password found”

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I'm positive I do not have extra copies of 1Password on my computer. I'm aware of that issue from past experience. What I do have is a clone backup on an external drive. This has not been an issue for years. It is my (and yours?) speculation that this odd behavior may be related to this clone backup. But, the behavior doesn't appear to be the same as when there are multiple copies of 1Password on the internal hard drive. For example, with the external drive attached, 1P starts normally most of the time. Only on some days, I get that "permissions" error message on the first attempt to start 1P desktop. And again, it starts normally on the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) attempt. And it restarts normally the rest of that day. This, to me, does not suggest there is a conflict with the clone backup... but maybe I'm wrong.

How would I create an exception for the backup copy of 1P on my clone drive?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3:

How would I create an exception for the backup copy of 1P on my clone drive?

What software do you use to make your backups?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

CCC -- Carbon Copy Cloner

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3:

I have found this in Carbon Copy Cloner's documentation:

Excluding files and folders from a backup task - https://bombich.com/

Once you have excluded 1Password from the backup, and you have removed existing backup copies of the 1Password app from your backup disk (the instructions to do that are in Tommy's post above), if you stop receiving this error message, then you found the root cause of this behavior you are seeing ;)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Aha! I inaccurately assumed you were referring to some feature in 1P that would allow me to exclude it from backups. I understand that I can do it in CCC. However, if I do that and ever need to recover my files and apps from my CCC clone backup, 1P would be missing. In that scenario (as unlikely as it is), I would just download and install a new copy of 1P and link it to my 1P data, right?

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@AMCarter3

Yes, that is correct. You would download the app, and away you go. That's the very same procedure I would follow, given I also have the exceptions in place for Time Machine and CCC.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Hmmm... I excluded 1Password from Carbon Copy Cloner several days ago. I verified it is excluded today. Why? Because I'm still getting the same error message when I restart my computer or when I wake it in the morning. The message says: "Cannot open 1Password Data. This copy of 1Password cannot open your data. The most likely cause is insufficient permissions, and not a problem with the data itself. Please contact customer support for a solution."

And, as before, my 2nd attempt to open 1Password is always successful. Both the desktop and browser extension open and work normally. Since 1P is NOT being copied to my clone backup, I don't understand why this error message occurs. Could 1P be seeing its data base in my Time Machine backup and getting confused?

• @AMCarter3

The data should no be causing you any trouble as the issue is more macOS looking for bits and pieces on startup rather than 1Password. Can you reproduce this, and create a diagnostic report, then send it over? Please do it while you see the message. Hopefully, the report will shed some light on the situation.

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/121901/why-do-i-get-error-message-saying-cannot-open-1password-data#latest
    • Your forum username: AMCarter3

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Since this issue occurs when I restart my computer, could you clarify how to run the trouble shooting app right at the moment it starts up?

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@AMCarter3

My apologies I thought this was occurring on each first start of the app. If you can reproduce and create the report before taking corrective action, that would be helpful.

Can you check one thing prior to that? Do you have 1Password set as a a login item type in macOS? If so, removing that should correct the issue. Right-click on the 1Password 7 icon in the dock > Options> uncheck, Open at Login.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I checked... I do not have 1P set to Open at Login. (I know that is not necessary.)

I think the best I can do is start the Trouble Shooting app immediately after starting the computer and seeing the error message. Assuming it will capture what happens for a minute or so, it should capture: 1) 1P not opening normally; and 2) that it did open after I clicked on "Try Again". That should give you BEFORE and AFTER data.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@AMCarter3

We hope it will. Please don't close or open 1Password until after the report completely generates. I am hoping the logs will show if macOS is using the helper from one of your backups. If you do notate the time when the change occured. It should not really be necessary but every bit of info can help.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I restarted and got the usual error message . Then I ran the Trouble Shooting report app as soon as possible and sent it to you.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@AMCarter3

I see it. I'll send you an email shortly.

ref: UFW-52957-619

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I sent a 2nd report right after clicking on "Try Again" (which worked again to open 1P).

This discussion has been closed.