[Feature Request] Add search to popup

Options

Hey there, sometimes there is no match for a website but I know I have it saved, it just does not get the name/domain right, so being able to search in the popup would be really nice. LastPass does that for example.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Stanzilla 👋

We tend to call the pop-up the screen that appears when you click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar. However, I have a feeling you're referring to the smaller menu that appears directly on the page, just below fillable fields. You do have the ability to narrow down the selection in the inline menu (directly below the field) by beginning to type the username in the field. However, you wouldn't be able to search for items that don't match the website URL you're currently visiting. You can use the keyboard shortcut Command/Control + Shift _ X (on Chrome) or Command/Control + . (on Firefox) to open the pop-up, though. Then, you can simply start typing and you'll be searching all of your items.

I do appreciate the feature request. I believe our philosophy is that it could confuse users to have the ability to search all of your items in the inline menu and then not have the ability to fill the item you searched for since you can only fill items with a matching website URL to the one you're visiting. That's a feature that protects you from phishing. I'd be curious if my suggestion above ends up getting you what you want in a slightly different way. Let me know how it goes!

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, this thing:

Search here would be great, I know that I have something saved for that page but I have to open the other menu to find it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming @Stanzilla .

Finding your appropriate login in the inline menu will not help you as you won't be able to autofill it. 1Password will never autofill a login entry if the URL's domain doesn't match the website's domain you're currently visiting, which is a very important safety feature to protect from phishing websites (which often use very similar domains to real ones, for example "amazoon.com" etc).

So what Kaitlyn suggested above is the way to go - open 1Password's popup by either clicking the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser or by using 1Password's shortcut, where you will be able to utilize the search bar and find any relevant credentials. You still won't be able to autofill, but you will be able to copy-paste or drag and drop the username/password into the fields on the website, if you are certain that the website is legit. :)

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Well that's a bit annoying, LastPass does this well.

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

If you use the same login for different domains, just edit the item and add a second site entry with the other url you use.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stanzilla There are certain areas in which we do not compromise in order to maintain the highest security standards, and that is one of them.

As @loggor mentioned, if you want a certain login item to be fillable on multiple websites because you use the same credentials, you can edit that login item and add more websites URLs to it. That way, 1Password will suggest it on all the URLs listed in the item's details :)

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

@ag_yaron Fair. Maybe it's just an issue because of sub/alternate-domain detection and therefore gets annoying for me? As an example, I have a login saved for en.wikipedia.org but I was not offered that when I wanted to log in to commons.wikimedia.org. Adding alternate sites obviously solves that but 1P also did not prompt me to update my saved entry with the alternate domain, which would have been nice.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Stanzilla ,

As long as the base domain is different, 1Password will consider it a completely different website. So wikipedia.org is different from wikimedia.org, and 1Password won't suggest autofilling or saving/updating your login if you're on one of these domains but your login item contains the URL of the other.

This discussion has been closed.