1Password 8 frustrations

zer0r00t
zer0r00t
Community Member

I've been using v7 on windows and v8 on manjaro for sometime now. Have to say I'm very, very disappointed with v8 so far. Many useful features have been removed;

• No 1Password mini
  • Cannot logout anymore
  • No number bubbles beside all items, favorites or any tags, none at all
  • No way to delete or rename a tag from a vault
  • No way to remove a single tag from more than one item at a time. I'm actually surprised drag-and-drop wasn't removed
  • The entire right click context menu for any tagging function is removed. Reduced to literally only 4 actions (which reduces further to 3 if more than 1 item is selected)
  • No way to copy multiple items to a vault anymore. Only move
  • No local vaults
  • Cannot reorder sections or fields
  • Cannot link related items when creating new item, but option magically appears when editing the same item after creation

These are just few from the top of my head. I cannot fathom how something so functional can evolve into something so dumbed down. It's almost like users are expected to save and autofill items and nothing more. Why companies decide to remove features that were present for years while keeping the price same or more, I will never understand. If the current state of v8 is what the final release will look like, please, reconsider some decisions

1Password Version: 8.1.0-66.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @zer0r00t

1Password 8 is essentially a complete rewrite of 1Password, with the goal of providing a consistent experience across all of the various platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and now for the first time... Linux 🐧). It isn't feature-complete yet. One of the reasons we're offering Early Access on Windows is to get feedback from users as to where we should focus our remaining time before the 8.0 release. As such, this is very helpful, thank you. A few things to note:

No 1Password mini

This is something we're looking very closely at, and while I can't make any promises, I suspect prior to or shortly after 8.0 we'll have something to offer here. We're still working out exactly what that should look like based on the input we've had from formal user testing and informal feedback.

Cannot logout anymore

Could you elaborate on what you mean here? Most folks "logout" of 1Password by locking it, which you can do using the File > Lock menu (or associated keyboard shortcut). If instead you're looking to remove your 1Password account from the app, would you mind sharing what the use case for that is? At present you can remove your account from an app by signing in at https://start.1password.com, navigating to your profile page, and then deauthorizing the device in question. I don't believe this is something folks are commonly doing, but I'd be interested to hear if you have a need to.

No number bubbles beside all items, favorites or any tags, none at all

Indeed; there isn't currently an easy way to see how many items are in those sections. Could you please help me understand how this information is helpful to you? What problem does having item counts solve?

No way to remove a single tag from more than one item at a time. I'm actually surprised drag-and-drop wasn't removed

🤔 I agree that this isn't currently possible. In 1Password 7 you could remove a tag from all items by deleting it from the sidebar, and 1Password 8 doesn't have that. Beyond that I'm not sure how you would've been handling this previously. How were you removing a tag from more than one (if not all) items in 1Password 7?

The entire right click context menu for any tagging function is removed. Reduced to literally only 4 actions (which reduces further to 3 if more than 1 item is selected)

Are there ways in which drag and drop does not meet this need?

No way to copy multiple items to a vault anymore. Only move

Good catch. Yes, hopefully that is something we can address soon.

ref: dev/core/core#8509

No local vaults

Standalone vaults as they existed in the past will no longer be part of 1Password moving forward, however we do have some thoughts on this that may be of interest. One of our founders, Dave, posted about this in detail here:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602340/#Comment_602340

Cannot reorder sections or fields

Good observation. I will mention this to the team.

ref: dev/core/core#5958

Cannot link related items when creating new item, but option magically appears when editing the same item after creation

You're right. Another good catch. I will bring this to the team's attention as well.

ref: dev/core/core#8510

Thank you!!

Ben

• Cannot link related items when creating new item, but option magically appears when editing the same item after creation

I've heard back on this one already. It seems this is intentional. The challenge is that the item creator in v8 lets you change the vault you're creating the item in on the fly. Because related items are vault specific adding a related item and then changing the vault you're creating the item in would break things. That may be something we can re-evaluate further down the road, but at the moment that is a limitation we add based on being able to switch vaults during item creation.

Ben

• zer0r00t
    zer0r00t
    Community Member

@Ben
    Thanks for the response, I'm glad to hear this is not the final form

shortly after 8.0 we'll have something to offer here

Handy feature. It's actually one of the reasons I made the move to 1Password from Bitwarden. The text injection into non-browser apps really does solve the problem of using clipboard. Not many managers have this feature. Be proud of it

would you mind sharing what the use case for that is?

It's handy to be able to log in to a trusted person's device without logging them out, then logout safely when done

What problem does having item counts solve?

Personally it lets me see at a glance if all my clients are synced before taking them offline

How were you removing a tag from more than one (if not all) items in 1Password 7?
    Are there ways in which drag and drop does not meet this need?

Select more than one item, right click => tags => tick and untick tags. Can even create a new tag by typing directly there. You have no idea how functional that is (yes I'm a tag person). Helped me organize multiple hundreds of item. That's actually another reason I moved to 1Password. To be fair it's more useful to new 1P users than long term old users which I understand

Because related items are vault specific adding a related item and then changing the vault you're creating the item in would break things

I understand that now

One of our founders, Dave, posted about this in detail here

Thanks I'll read that

I'd also appreciate a not-tagged category. And more 'clear clipboard' timeout options. Personally I feel 90 seconds is too much. Give users a few options

Regards

• Thanks so much for all this additional feedback regarding your use-cases, it's very helpful! I will ensure it's duly noted and passed along to the Development team for consideration.

ref: /dev/core/core/#5034
    ref: /dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#789

not-tagged category

Could you expand on this? Do you mean you'd like a view that shows you only items that do not have a tag?

more 'clear clipboard' timeout options.

Sounds good! I'll file this one for the team to look into. :smile: In the meantime, this can be set manually, but involves a bit of manual text-editing. If you'd like to go ahead, you can edit the settings.json file at C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\1Password\settings and add the following line: "security.clipboard.clearAfter": #, where # is the number of seconds until the clipboard is cleared. Here's an example:

"security.clipboard.clearAfter": 30

ref: /dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#235

• zer0r00t
    zer0r00t
    Community Member

Do you mean you'd like a view that shows you only items that do not have a tag?

yes

"security.clipboard.clearAfter": 30

great thanks

• Sounds good, I'll pass this feedback along as well. :smile:

ref: /dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#651

This discussion has been closed.