Can't connect with server

ghandlin
ghandlin
Community Member

On a family members phone, getting an error after entering the master password saying:

"Unable to communicate with the server. Please check your network connection and make sure the sign-in address is correct."

The sign-in address and password are correct (verified on laptop) and the connectivity to the phone is fine. It worked in the past, I see in the device history that the last successful connection was in May; first in April.

I had uninstalled the app and re-installed thinking perhaps something was jammed up, but it seems the data is not actually removed on a standard install since it recognized the vault as already being there. I don't know if complete removal and installation would help or if it is some other issue.

1Password Version: 7.7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_audrey
    edited July 2021

Hey @ghandlin, welcome to the Forum! I'm sorry your family member is experiencing sign-in issues on their Android app.

Could your family member help answer these questions:
    1. Can they log into 1Password.com on their browser on their Android device?
    2. Does their Master Password contain any special characters?
    3. Do they have any VPNs or antivirus software installed on their Android device?
    4. Do they have any firewalls on their Android device or router?

These answers will help us narrow down the issue. I look forward to your response :)

• ghandlin
    ghandlin
    Community Member

Going to the site in browser on the device after entering the un/pwd, the secret key is requested.
    Yes, there are special characters.
    I may have installed Sophos on the phone, but I don't have the phone in front of me at the moment.

• Hey @ghandlin, thank you for getting back to me.

Either the special characters in the Master Password or Sophos could be the culprit. Could you ask your family member to disable Sophos and then try signing in to the Android app again?

• ghandlin
    ghandlin
    Community Member

I just looked on her phone, she has Sophos Intercept X on it, but I have it on mine as well with no issues. There are two special characters which are just the # sign, no big deal there.

I had to recover her account at one point, does that generate a new secret key? Perhaps that is what is causing the issue. If so, a different error message would be helpful. Going to try that this evening.

• Hey @ghandlin, if you've recovered her account before, then she would've received a new Secret Key and had to create a new Master Password. Was she able to download her new Emergency Kit after the recovery?

This discussion has been closed.