Why did I receive this from 1P?

blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83082658@N00/51310818494/in/dateposted-public/

I don't have Chrome on my iMac. I searched. There is no Chrome on my iMac. I don't remember downloading it either. So I immediately changed my Master password to 1P. Has anyone seen this before?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: 1p

Comments

• @blackxacto

What version fo the extension are you using? Other browser built on the Chromium substrate may appear as Chrome. What browser are you using?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Safari Version 14.1.1 (16611.2.7.1.4), I used to be able to find the 1P extension # for the version, but I can't find it any longer. Where has it moved in MacOS 11.4?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I found something called com.agilebits.onepassword7.1PasswordSafriAppExtension, buried in Private/var/folders/d_/ps95x...0000gn/T/com.agilebits.onepassword7.1PasswordSafariAppExtension. Is this where Safari Xtensions are kept now? in 11.4?

• @blackxacto,

Safari extensions aren't installed as a separate thing anymore. it only exists inside the 1Password application's bundle. The partial path you've quoted looks like it could be a cache path or your 1Password.app has been translocated, its hard to tell due to the portion of the path that is truncated in the middle with the …

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Still don't know how I received a chrome report from 1P as I haven't installed Chrome lately, nor is it in my iMac.

• @blackxacto Do you have any other Chromium-based web browsers installed? For example, when I added the 1Password extension to Brave, I got this same email, because Brave uses the Chromium engine.

Ben

• Alternatively, did you possibly install the 1Password Safari extension from the Mac App Store? One of our developers noted that particular install erroneously is reported as Chrome.

Ben

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I recently installed Brave extension. That's probably the cause. Thank you, Ben.

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome. Brave is Chromium based. That is very likely the cause.

• Baggins
    Baggins
    Community Member

Google is just trying to help you correct your error (forgetting to install Chrome)
    Get a Google Nest Hub 7” Smart Display, a Google Chromecast with Google TV, and an Android phone - then Google will stop "bugging" you and you will have the deep peace of mind that only comes with total surveillance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Baggins:

In this specific case, I think the reason is that Brave uses the Chrome engine behind the scenes :+1:

This discussion has been closed.