1Password for Linux... but not on armv8

rfpels
rfpels
Community Member

Even if it's a beta I would still be very much interested in a version for aarch64 since I am running Ubuntu on an M1 Macbook Pro. So please please pretty please would you guys consider building for that target as well?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• CraigCottingham
    CraigCottingham
    Community Member

Adding my upvote. I'm running Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi, and while KeePass works, I'd rather not have to manually copy passwords from one machine to the next.

• Blake
    edited May 2021

We’re certainly interested in continuing to take a look at exploring our options with 1Password on ARM. So don’t worry, we’re right there with you! 😊

That said, since it’s not currently possible to run the 1Password for Linux on arm-based processors, my suggestion would be to use 1Password in your browser - you can read more about it here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

• teladog01
    teladog01
    Community Member

Hi guys. Are we any closer to an arm64 build for linux? This is the last piece of the puzzle for me to finally be able to completely move to Raspberry Pi 4 as my daily driver...

• ukwiz
    ukwiz
    Community Member

+1 for an ARM build

• Thanks for your +1s! I'll ensure this feedback is passed along.

@teladog01 I do not have anything to share at this time - sorry about that! I would definitely suggest trying out 1Password in your browser on your Pi device: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

ref: /dev/core/core/#2418

• teladog01
    teladog01
    Community Member

I would definitely suggest trying out 1Password in your browser on your Pi device: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

I certainly would do that if I could use my existing license with 1Password X! You guys have kinda alienated your longtime customers (since the "1passwd" days) by deprecating the traditional license and requiring a subscription account for the new stuff...

• @teladog01

Any solution here would require a 1Password membership. Our team would be happy to help you move forward. Please feel free to reach out to them at support+tradein@1password.com.

Ben

• careyjames
    careyjames
    Community Member

yes arm!

• damo
    damo
    Community Member

Linux arm and arm64 would be very appreciated, both the UI and the command-line version.

• Blake
    edited July 2021

@careyjames @damo

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and make your voice heard! 🤗

I don't have anything new to share at this time, but I will certainly make sure to add your request to our internal issue for 1Password on ARM.

• mrdoodiddle
    mrdoodiddle
    Community Member
  • :+1:

Ben

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

The elders of my extended family have all had their legacy 10+ year old PCs replaced with Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi 400s. The Firefox browser extension works, however it is slower and not as intuitive to a non-technical user (why press ctrl+., why does the button not do anything on about:blank, why does the button not do anything if the page has not completely loaded first, why press the button at all, etc). Some of the old x86_64 devices were able to have their legacy Windows or legacy macOS operating systems swapped to Ubuntu, and are running the 1Password 8 Beta for Linux, which is fantastic and even better than the native clients on Windows and Mac; so I'm looking forward for when it comes to arm.

• Hey @balupton thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback about how your family is using 1Password. I'll try and break down some of the points you've raised;

• why press ctrl+.,

This keyboard shortcut asks 1Password to open and load itself within the browser.

• why does the button not do anything on about:blank

When the keyboard shortcut is pressed, 1Pssword is being asked to look at the page you're browsing so that it can provide suggestions to autofill credentials. As the about:blank page within the browser is not a functional site so will not show any results.

A good solution for members of your extended family would be to use 1Password.com to add and manage their items. Then using the extension to fill credentials into websites which they are using.

With regard to the availability of an ARM build, we are still looking into this but aren't able to share anything at this stage. What I've done is add your feedback to the ARM request so that we can continue reviewing this.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your usecase, if there's anything more we can do please let us know!

• dbrandmeyer
    dbrandmeyer
    Community Member

+1 to the ARM support, for macOS, Windows 11, and for the Raspberry Pi! As an employee of a rather large enterprise subscriber to 1Password (think front page of your website), there are a bunch of us within the company that are patiently waiting to see something more than just a browser plugin.

• Thanks @dbrandmeyer, we certainly appreciate this! I'll pass it on to our development team. 😃 It's always great to be able to track genuine demand for support on various platforms - thanks for letting us know. 🙏

ref: dev/core/core#2418

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member

arm64 it up, please.

• @mikesilva :+1: Added to the request Peter mentioned!

• bootc
    bootc
    Community Member

I'd like to second the request for arm64/aarch64 as well, please. I'd find it especially useful for running in a Linux VM on my M1 MacBook Pro (via Parallels).

• We're still working on this, and I gave it another shot last Friday. I'm going to have to do a deep dive on toolchains until I finally figure out how to piece it all together.

• prolixalias
    prolixalias
    Community Member

+1, +1. +1 -- the last piece of my automation puzzle

• Thanks @prolixalias for letting us know about your use case! We do appreciate completing a good automation puzzle.

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Re the earlier suggestion about ctrl+., unfortunately, hotkeys are too confusing for my family members. The largest family support case that I receive is family members giving up on accessing email as they consistently enter their 1password into their email login prompt, rather than clicking the 1password browser button first to authenticate.

For people who have not grown up with computers, they depend on consistency (enter password when prompted for password) in the most basic abstractions (a password prompt), and detailed step by step instructions on how to interface with what. Anything that could cause say the 1password browser button to not display, or the fact that the browser extension only shows a lock icon inside the password prompt (with no overlay in the username field, and no overlay at all if unauthenticated) all cause unnecessary complexity, which causes instructions to require adaptions to higher level conceptual abstractions, which unfortunately, they don't have. For instance, why does the locked 1password icon that shows inside a password field, and the one that shows inside the browser toolbar behave differently? It all requires higher level conceptions to understand.

Family members who are running the desktop 1password client fair better from a UX perspective, hence my desire for a Raspberry Pi 4 desktop client rather than just the browser extension. Looking forward to the progress on that.

• rsuk
    rsuk
    Community Member

Another +1 request for a raspberry pi client. We've got a couple of Raspberry Pi 4s running the browser extension currently, but the desktop client is much more convenient than the website for password management.

• Goldgamer
    Goldgamer
    Community Member

Any news here? I would like to run 1Password on my raspberryPi and MacBook Pro with Ubuntu 22.04.
    It would be great if you could compile 1Password for x86_64 and arch64.
    Thanks

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member

Any luck @Savanni ? How can I help? :-)

• ssgelm
    ssgelm
    Community Member

I too would really appreciate this for use on the Pinebook Pro

• Hi folks! We don't have anything to share on this at the moment, but we are listening and this is an area of interest for us. Thanks for your votes and feedback here!

• Hey folks! Guess what?! We've got an ARM-64 build of 1Password for Linux Beta, now available! 🥳

If you'd like to try it out on your system, we'd love to know how it works for you. Details at the download link below. Thank you for letting us know that support for ARM is something wanted us to bring to release!

https://releases.1password.com/linux/beta/#1password-for-linux-8.6.0-68

@rfpels @CraigCottingham @teladog01 @ukwiz @careyjames @damo @mrdoodiddle @balupton @dbrandmeyer @mikesilva @bootc @prolixalias @rsuk @Goldgamer @ssgelm

• ssgelm
    ssgelm
    Community Member

This is awesome! I'll test now. In the future do you plan to also offer deb/rpm/whatever builds of this too?

This discussion has been closed.