1PW 7 Desktop won't unlock with the correct password in Win 10

I've been using 1PW Chrome extension on WIndows 10 for a while with no problems. Tonight I installed the desktop version, and it will not unlock with the correct password, either types or copied and pasted from the Chrome extension. No error message, just acts like the pw is wrong. Restarting, reinstalling didn't help. I was not asked to do the full auth with the secret key - went right to the unlock with your Master Password screen. Help?

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.05
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro x 64 21H1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

@josephwit Sounds like the newly installed app has found an old 1Password database and so is expecting the old master password. First check that you can login at 1password.com and that all your data is there:
    https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new

• josephwit
    josephwit
    Community Member

I didn't remember installing the Desktop app on that PC, but apparently I did. Old password got me in, but then cloud told the app the pw was not current, so it went to full login screen with secret code, which worked. Thanks!

• Thanks so much for your help, @rootzero! I'm glad to hear that you're set up and running again @josephwit. :smile:

I hope you don't mind Rootzero, I've edited your original post and removed the solution that you provided - since this action can potentially cause data loss, we suggest that users write into us over email so we can offer them 1:1 assistance to minimize any potential loss.

For users experiencing the same issue as Josephwit, shoot us an email at support+windows@1password.com with a brief description of the issue, and we'll be happy to assist you. :smile:

• josephwit
    josephwit
    Community Member

Got it. -JW

• :smile: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.