Unlock on Secure Desktop not showing password prompt

Hi 1Password team,

I'm currently using the latest Windows early access build (which has been great so far!), but when I press Ctrl+Enter on the 1Password lock screen to open a secure desktop, the new secure desktop takes over with a black screen, but no password window appears. Sometimes I'm able to get out of this secure desktop after a certain number of key presses into the void, and sometimes I have no way of getting out of this and so have to restart my computer.

I've found that if I am able to get back to my regular desktop, restarting 1Password and then trying again does sometimes bring up the password prompt window in the secure desktop, but once unlocked, clicking the "Copy" button on any password field doesn't send this info into the system clipboard.

Hope this is enough info to look into this issue, please let me know if you need any more.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.1.0-60.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I was about to report the same issue. I also sometimes end up on a black screen and the only way to recover from this is rebooting the machine.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

FYI: I'm running into this problem every time the app is updated.

• Hi @plokij @Manaburner 👋

Apologies for the delayed response. I am still attempting to reproduce this one so I can file it away with our development team, and so far, I have not had much luck.

Just to clarify, does this only happen directly after updating 1Password, or does this is happen randomly at other times too? Any additional details would be greatly appreciated.

• plokij
    plokij
    Community Member

Hi @Blake

I'm getting this error almost every time I use the app. I have 1Password load during startup, and I don't imagine you guys are updating it every day so I don't think it's on update only.

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member

Hi @Blake ,

I'm also getting this error every time I try to unlock 1PW with the master password, not just after installing updates. The issue has been there since 8.1.0-45, and the most recent public beta (8.1.2-2) is also affected.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @Blake
    I'm also getting this error when no update was installed. In my case this seems to happen more often if I have started Google Chrome before starting the 1Password application itself. So the sequence is: Start Google Chrome - start 1Password desktop application - hit ctrl+enter - see only a blackscreen without 1Password - you are stuck now :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @plokij !

and I don't imagine you guys are updating it every day so I don't think it's on update only

1PW8 is only updating to it's latest version when the desktop app is unlocked.

@plokij , @BSi , @Manaburner
    Did you try the latest release 8.1.2-10?
    https://releases.1password.com/windows/#1password-for-windows-8.1.2-10

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hey @DenalB
    I do since yesterday and tbh it's getting worse unfortunately.

@Blake : as long as there's no fix for this, is there a way to get out of the Secure Desktop environment without having to reboot? It's kind of annoying even with a computer that has an SSD

• Blake
    edited July 2021

Hey again @Manaburner 👋

I appreciate you providing the instructions you're able to follow to reproduce this, but unfortunately, we're still not seeing what you're seeing.

I think I'd like to collect a diagnostics report from 1Password on your device to see if that gives us a better idea as to what's happening.

1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Click the overflow menu icon in the top-left corner of the window, then Help, then About 1Password.
      If the 1Password app is unlocked, click the overflow menu icon, then File, and then Settings
    3. Switch to the Advanced tab, then click Send Diagnostics.
    4. Select Reveal to show the file location of the generated file, and attach it in an email to support+windows@1password.com

For the time being, until we can identify what's happening, the best solution would be to refrain from using Secure Desktop.

Once you send that email in, you should receive a Conversation ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678] -- Post that below and that'll help me link things up on our end! 😊

• ag_mike_d
    edited July 2021

@manaburner, we've received your email and will continue the conversation there.

Thanks and have a great day!

ref: UGW-16138-582

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hey @ag_mike_d is there anything new to report on this matter?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2021

Hi @Manaburner

Nothing new to report I'm afraid. It is an open issue on our end.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#8761

• Gord_O
    Gord_O
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

What is the latest on the "secure desktop" access.
    I just upgraded to 1P8 and nothing happens when I hit "CTRL+ENTER".

Thanks

• Hey @Gord_O:

As I mentioned in the other thread, we're still investigating, but have nothing further to report at this time. Keep an eye out and hopefully we'll have news for you soon!

Jack

• Gord_O
    Gord_O
    Community Member

@jack.platten lol since we were communicating on the other thread I figured I would ask there as well.
    Thanks for you assistance.

• You're very welcome @Gord_O! :smile:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I don't know since what beta this is, but I found a way to make this work:

• open 1Password and press ctrl+enter
    • you see a black screen now. Hit enter a few times (at least 5-6)
    • the 1Password GUI magically appears and you can enter your passphrase

This is either a bug or the incantantion you have to use now ;)

• Hi @Manaburner, can I ask what version of 1Password you're currently on? I'd love to investigate this further for you.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P
    I'm using 8.6.0 (80600051)

• PeterG_1P
    edited March 2022

Hi @Manaburner, thanks for the follow-up details. I've passed this on to our development team for further investigation. My understanding was that the majority of Secure Desktop issues have been ironed out, but we'll certainly look into this too. Thanks for steps to reproduce the issue too!

ref: dev/core/core#8761

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P
    it looks like the 1Password GUI is showing in Secure Desktop even when I don't hit return a few times. It looks like I was impatient for it to load, because from the previous version, I was used to it showing up immediately :)
    I'll keep testing

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P, for me the originally reported secure desktop issue is still there and I could replicate it every time I try. After hitting CTRL+ENTER, Secure Desktop shows up, but without any visible windows and/or controls. It does not changes over time, even if I wait for several minutes, no window gets shown and I'm unable to exit from Secure Desktop conveniently. The only thing I could do is to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and either sign out from my current Windows session or restart the computer completely.

If I could help with anything to get this thing resolved for good, just let me know!

• Hey @BSi:

Thanks for following up on this! This is something we're still actively tracking, and I've added you as an affected user as well. Stay tuned as we continue to investigate this and work to sort it out.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#11570

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P
    I can't tell for sure, but since one of the recent updates, the shortcut ctrl-enter to open 1Password on the Secure Desktop, no longer works for me. I'm on 80600076

• Hey @Manaburner:

I was able to replicate this behavior, and see that we're still working on improving the state of play for Secure Desktop unlock. Thanks for following up on this as we work to make 1Password even better.

Jack

• jkcarter
    jkcarter
    Community Member

Good to hear that you have the ability to replicate the Secure Desktop bug, @Jack.P_1P! Any updates on when this bug is expected to be fixed? With all the nannyware companies install on their remote workers' machines these days, it sure would be nice to know that my master password isn't going to be sitting in some keylogger's database.

This discussion has been closed.