Can No Longer Edit Vault

FrustratedUser81632
FrustratedUser81632
Community Member

I have been a 1Password user for years. For many years, I had my vault synched to dropbox and everything worked well and I moved merrily along. I upgraded from 6 to 7 and paid for the standalone version. Ever since the 1Password team has been pushing the seemingly forced migration to a subscription model I have encountered nothing but problems. I have a receipt for the license, I can see the license file in my ~Library/agilebits container, but I can no longer edit my vault. I cannot even see the option to license in 1Password. No, I did not sign up for a 1Password account. I do not want a subscription account, I did not sign up for a subscription account, and I paid for standalone. Yet, it seems some autoupdate has conveniently ignored my 1Password 7 license and migrated me to subscription. Please advise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @FrustratedUser81632. I'm sorry about the frustration and I'm happy to help you get up and running again.

If you have a standalone license for 1Password 7 (not 1Password 6) then it sounds like you might have downloaded and installed the Mac App Store version of the 1Password app which doesn't work with standalone licenses.

If that's the case then you'll need to switch to our website version which does work with licenses. You can find instructions here: How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

Let me know if that doesn't work or if you're already using the website version of 1Password 7 for Mac.

• FrustratedUser81632
    FrustratedUser81632
    Community Member

That resolved the issue. Thanks. Just so I am clear for future, any update pushed through the Mac app store will be the subscription model, so I need to go to your site to update to new versions?

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2021

@FrustratedUser81632

I'm happy that the issue is resolved and you can edit items again.

The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac is indeed subscription only. There's no need for you to go back to 1Password.com for updates, the website version of 1Password 7 for Mac has a built-in updater and will update itself. You can make sure that Automatic Updates are enabled by checking the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password > Preferences.
    2. Turn on “Automatically check for updates” and "Automatically install updates".

I hope that helps. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.