1Password in Big Sur is killing my battery

Options
Hot_laptop01
Hot_laptop01
Community Member

I found my exact problem in an old "closed" thread, but it was said the problem was going to be corrected in Catalina. I haven't had this problem until Big Sur.

Intermittently, I found that my computer would go from 100% battery to 2% in 1 hour. Also, while plugged in, it still would lose charge. I learned from the other thread (and it is true for me) that the problem corrects temporarily with a reboot. I learned from Activity Monitor, that the 1Password helper was using 95-103 energy impact. So, now I keep Activity Monitor open in the background all the time, and as soon as I feel my MBP get hot or if I notice a loss in battery, I check the activity monitor and it is always due to 1Password, so I reboot. There has to be a better solution.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:battery use Big Sur

Comments

• @Hot_laptop01

Can you share the other topic link? I would like to see what we have on our end. To the best of my knowledge you are the only one to report something like this on 11.4. Working on the Mac and iOS team I feel certain I would have seen it.

We would be happy to investigate further. Could you to create a diagnostics report from your device?

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/122122/1password-in-big-sur-is-killing-my-battery#latest
    • Your forum username: Hot_laptop01

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Hot_laptop01
    Hot_laptop01
    Community Member
    Options

This is the closed thread... and like I said, all the symptoms the OP experienced sounds just like my problem.
    https://1password.community/discussion/93983/1password-extension-helper-is-killing-my-battery

Right now, my computer isn't having the problem, because I rebooted just yesterday. Once it recurs, I will send you the diagnostic report.

• @Hot_laptop01

Do you also have Fast User Switching enabled? If so, it seems like it's Safari while updating. A restart should help. If that's not convenient you can likely sign out of one account and then back in.

Please do send us the report if you continue to experience trouble.

• Hot_laptop01
    Hot_laptop01
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have fast user switching. Also, the day prior to my post, I had to reboot twice. My problem typically occurs once or twice a week, but before the post, it was happening daily for a couple days... but since I posted, everything is working as it should. So, it might be a couple days before I send in the diagnostic report

• Sounds good @Hot_laptop01

• Hot_laptop01
    Hot_laptop01
    Community Member
    Options

I'm about to do the diagnostic report, but I wanted to show the high energy usage here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hot_laptop01:

Thank you for your screenshot! This is what I see on my machine:

So I think a diagnostics report might be useful in this case :+1:

• Hot_laptop01
    Hot_laptop01
    Community Member
    Options

The diagnostic report has been emailed in, but I did not get an automated reply yet with a support number.

As for @ag_ana, your activity monitor is on a different tab so it is showing different information. On the top, you have "CPU" selected, try switching to the "Energy" tab and you'll see the information I posted in the screen shot. Normally, 1Password has an Energy Impact of 0.2 to 3.0, but you can see that when I created my diagnostic report, the Energy Impact is 98.3. I have since rebooted, and the Energy Impact is now 0.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hot_laptop01:

your activity monitor is on a different tab so it is showing different information. On the top, you have "CPU" selected, try switching to the "Energy" tab and you'll see the information I posted in the screen shot.

The last column on the right in my screenshot is the Energy impact column, is that not what I should be looking at?

• Hot_laptop01
    Hot_laptop01
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I stand corrected

• @Hot_laptop01

Have you received a reply from the team? I saw your message yesterday, but was pulled into a meeting. Do you happen to have that ticket ID?

• Hot_laptop01
    Hot_laptop01
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I received a response. This is what I believe the ticket number is: [#IVD-32153-956]

They said that they have seen something similar with 1Password and some antivirus software in Big Sur only (not Catalina or earlier). It turns out that I do use Sophos Home as an antivirus software. They suggested that I add 1Password to the list of exceptions for Sophos - which I did. We'll see if that helps.

• @Hot_laptop01

That's the ID. Thanks.

ref: IVD-32153-956

• Hot_laptop01
    Hot_laptop01
    Community Member
    Options

In the settings for Sophos, I entered 1Password as an excluded item. That looked promising at first, but after a couple weeks, the same problem returned.

I guess I'll just have to keep rebooting by laptop when it starts to overheat.

• @Hot_laptop01

If you have one of our memberships, I would suggest using 1Password in the browser as a temporary workaround until a resolution can be found.

• brian163
    brian163
    Community Member
    Options

Was the cause ever identified or issue believed to have been resolved in a subsequent release? My daughter's said her Macbook Air running Big Sur (and the latest 1P v7.9.1) is frequently turning on the fan and the battery is draining quickly. Whenever she hears the fan in particular and looks at Activity Monitor, 1Password is the top process. She doesn't use fast user switching. Rebooting will fix the problem temporarily only for it to return. She also uses Sophos Home.

I would have posted a new topic but this thread appears to be hitting on all of the relevant points. So, several months later, what is suggested to resolve this more permanently?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brian163:

I would have posted a new topic but this thread appears to be hitting on all of the relevant points. So, several months later, what is suggested to resolve this more permanently?

The common element of all these reports was antivirus software: adding the 1Password app to the whitelist area of the antivirus helped. Is your daughter running some antivirus software perhaps?

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member
    Options

non related maybe but I start to hate how Apple release OS very often, catalina, big sur, monterrey bla bla, why not focus on just one and make it better and better.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ghostdog:

I think it's good that Apple works so much on macOS. And you can actually see all of the updates as one operating system: macOS. Every new version is an update to the same macOS operating system to make it better ;)

This discussion has been closed.