Migrating to 1password from Keychain: Many Keychain and Wifi password questions.

mt2021
mt2021
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm switching my customer from using iCloud Keychain to 1Password

Before I do this, I’m going through the process myself, first, because I cannot mess this up for the customer - it has to be smooth as possible!

(In other words, I too have switched to 1password, before switching my customer)

So far, with MrC’s tools, i’ve carried out the following successfully:

• Import Safari passwords to 1password
  • Export / import of login keychain

On my Mac:

• in Safari, Autofill is Off
  • iCloud Keychain is On.

On my iPhone:

• in Settings->Passwords->Autofill Passwords: iCloud Keychain is Off, and 1Password is On.
  • iCloud Keychain is Enabled.

Everything’s running smoothly.

My questions are as follows:

In macOS, Keychain, login.keychain, and System.keychain are all required, and will continue to function in the background, regardless of 1password?

My MacBook and iPhone will continue to use Keychain to automatically join known wifi networks, regardless of 1password?

My MacBook and iPhone will continue to use Keychain to save wifi network passwords, regardless of 1password?

As I have iCloud Keychain enabled, wifi passwords will continue to sync across my devices?

I don’t need to import wifi passwords into 1password, as Keychain will continue to work seamlessly in the background, automatically joining known networks?

I don’t want or need to turn Keychain (local, or iCloud) off completely?

It isn’t possible to switch Keychain off completely?

With iCloud Keychain enabled across devices, is there any benefit in importing the macOS login keychain to 1Password?

In macOS, t seems that wifi passwords are stored in the System.keychain?

As I have iCloud Keychain switched on, is there any benefit in importing the System.keycahin into 1passwsord?

Any insight much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

MT

PS: Many thanks to MrC

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.4
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @mt2021

I'd be happy to help with that.

In macOS, Keychain, login.keychain, and System.keychain are all required, and will continue to function in the background, regardless of 1password?

Correct.

My MacBook and iPhone will continue to use Keychain to automatically join known wifi networks, regardless of 1password?

Yep!

My MacBook and iPhone will continue to use Keychain to save wifi network passwords, regardless of 1password?

Right.

As I have iCloud Keychain enabled, wifi passwords will continue to sync across my devices?

Yes.

I don’t need to import wifi passwords into 1password, as Keychain will continue to work seamlessly in the background, automatically joining known networks?

True, though some folks like to store these details in 1Password as well so e.g. they are available in 1Password on their Windows, Android, and other devices. 1Password does not automatically add these details to your OS or cause it to automatically join these networks though.

I don’t want or need to turn Keychain (local, or iCloud) off completely?

Correct.

It isn’t possible to switch Keychain off completely?

You cannot (and certainly would not want to do so).

With iCloud Keychain enabled across devices, is there any benefit in importing the macOS login keychain to 1Password?

I don't believe so.

In macOS, t seems that wifi passwords are stored in the System.keychain?

We're a bit outside the scope of 1Password here, but that is my understanding, yes.

As I have iCloud Keychain switched on, is there any benefit in importing the System.keycahin into 1passwsord?

I don't believe so. The system and login keychains will have a lot of items in them that aren't intended to be human readable such as digital certificates that the system needs.

Ben

• mt2021
    mt2021
    Community Member

Sincere thanks Ben, for taking the time to answer _all _my questions. I now am confident to move forward!

Best wishes,
    MT

• I'm happy that Ben's answer helped. :)

This discussion has been closed.