Password generation

I am trying out the new 1password 8 beta release. I am really missing the possibility to generate a password by right clicking on the tray icon. Right know the only way to generate a new password is only available when signing up / registering on a new account on the web. Sometime a user may want to generate a password when not subscribing to a new service.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

It would be great if the password generator would be available by right-clicking the systray icon!
    So +1 from me! :+1:

• The request to be able to generate a new password from the system tray is duly noted and has been sent to our developers, @Ands. Thanks for mentioning it!

By the way, you should still be able to use the password generator in other ways, too:

1. If you use 1Password for your browser, you should be able to click the 1Password icon in your browser, then the + icon, then Password Generator.
    2. If you use 1Password for Windows (Early Access), you should be able to choose new item > password and then click on the password field. That brings up a prompt to "create a new password", which invokes the password generator and lets you tweak the password settings to your liking.

I hope these prove handy, but can also understand the appeal of having the password generator in your system tray. Consider it filed!

• Ands
    Ands
    Community Member

Hello @PeterG_1P ,

I actually really like how the password generator works from the browser extention. After clicking the + sign u have the tool wich also show you the genetor history which is fantastic. Instead I feel like this exactly same way of using the tool is missing from the app since as you state you need to pass through the new item creation. I also really like the smart password creation metod; it has happened often with 1password 7 to have to generate the password a few times to be able to meet the website requirement.

Keep up the amazing work!

• That's great @Ands, thanks so much for the feedback! Peter got it passed along to the team - feel free to reach out if you think of anything else! :smile:

• bernieo
    bernieo
    Community Member

I just updated to 1Password v8 for Windows and simply cannot find a way to generate new passwords like with v7 in the System Tray.

There must be a way to do this without going through the multiple steps to create a fake 'new item' just to get generate a password.

In Windows 10 Chrome, when I click the 1Password extensions icon, there is no '+ icon, then Password Generator' that I can find.

I must be missing something, but can someone please show me step-by-step how to do this. Thanks.

• Gord_O
    Gord_O
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

I am disappointed to see the password generator two click shortcut has been removed from the browser icon in 1P8.
    It now takes five clicks to get there.
    How is this an improvement?

• bernieo
    bernieo
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

These are the steps I'm using to generate a new password with v8 in Windows 10. Hopefully, this will be streamlined with a future update.

1. Click 1Password icon in System Tray or Chrome 1Password extension to open 1Password v8.
    2. Click '+ New Item" in upper right corner of screen.
    3. Click 'Password icon'.
    4. Click in 'password' field and then
    5. Click 'Create a New Password'.

Once new password is generated. Then...
    6. Copy new password to clipboard.
    7. Cancel out of 1Password without saving (a few more clicks).

All in all, I'm very pleased with v8 and the 'Create a New Password' dialog is much improved. Especially with the 'Random, Memorable, an Pin' password options.

I just wish it didn't take so many clicks to get there :(.

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member

@bernieo and @Gord_O have you tried clicking on the Chrome 1Password extension and then click on the key icon just to the right of the blue "+ New Item" button? Is that what you're looking for?

• Gord_O
    Gord_O
    Community Member

@MerryBit Thanks so much! This is what I was looking for. I assumed the icon would be the same as the previous version. I did not equate the key icon with the previous gear like icon. I'm using Firefox and it works.
    Do you happen to know what happened to the "secure desktop" for logging in from the desktop app? "CTRL+ENTER" shortcut.

@bernieo Thanks for the detailed listing of steps. That is what I was dealing with.

• bernieo
    bernieo
    Community Member

@MerryBit ... Thank you for that tip!! That 'key icon' is just what @Gord_O and I were looking for.

That 'key icon' seems so logical now.... :).

• Hey @Gord_O and @bernieo:

Glad to hear @MerryBit was able to point you in the right direction! (Thanks for the assist! :smile:) Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need anything else!

Jack

• Gord_O
    Gord_O
    Community Member

Hi @jack.platten

I'm still looking for an answer on the following;
    Do you happen to know what happened to the "secure desktop" for logging in from the desktop app? "CTRL+ENTER" shortcut.

• Hi @Gord_O:

We're currently investigating a issue related to secure desktop, and as such, until we have fully investigated and resolved this issue, unlocking 1Password using the secure desktop is only available on the beta or nightly builds.

Jack

• Gord_O
    Gord_O
    Community Member

@jack.platten thanks for that update. It's a feature that makes me feel more secure when I'm entering my master password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @Gord_O, thank you for the feedback :+1: :)

• k_b
    k_b
    Community Member

I would really like the ability to use the password generator returned to the system tray. As an IT admin, I used this functionality regularly in 1password 7 to generate passwords for users without saving them to my account.

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

+1 to what k_b said as another IT admin. Also for db/terminal and other non-browser uses.

This discussion has been closed.