Using biometrics to unlock | Facial recognition (Howdy)

ugafta
ugafta
Community Member

Hello. Howdy provides Windows Hello™ style authentication for Linux and it would be nice if this was supported under Linux in 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @ugafta, thanks so much for writing in with this feature request! I can't make any promises for future additions to 1Password, but I'n happy to pass this request along to the team. :smile: Let me know if I can help with anything else. :+1:

• As a quick follow up to this post, 1Password works with any PAM-integrated authentication method - we suggest using the PAM frontend that is included with your desktop environment.

• ugafta
    ugafta
    Community Member

Hey @Dayton_ag somehow I can not get it to work :-\

• Hi @ugafta, thanks for sharing your results - I'm sorry you weren't able to get it up and running.

To confirm, are you having any trouble with using your system authentication system to unlock 1Password, or is Howdy the only aspect that's not working? If you're having trouble enabling 1Password's integration with system authentication I'll be happy to help out, but I won't be able to offer any support for third-party programs such as Howdy.

• ugafta
    ugafta
    Community Member

Hi @Dayton_ag I am having trouble enabling 1Password integration with system authentication. Any help would be appreciated.
    Howdy works, but it does not seem to be recognized as system authentication to unlock 1Password.

• Hey @ugafta,

No problem, I can definitely help with enabling system authentication within 1Password! First, please open a terminal on your device, and paste and run the following command:

cd .config/1Password/settings

This will put you in the directory for the settings file. Next, run this command:

gedit settings.json.

This will open the settings file for the 1Password app, or create one if it does not yet exist. If the file is empty, paste the following contents into the text file:

{
      "$schema": "https://downloads.1password.com/schema/settings.json",
      "security.authenticatedUnlock.enabled": true
    }

This will tell 1Password to use the system authentication service. Once that's done, save the file, and close out your terminal. Then, lock 1Password and launch it again - a fingerprint icon should appear beside the Master Password field. Clicking that fingerprint icon should open your system's authenticated unlock service.

Could you give that a try, and let me know how you get along? Thanks! :smile:

• ugafta
    ugafta
    Community Member

Hey @Dayton_ag,

I'm using Ubuntu Budgie 20.04.2 LTS with three local accounts and your first command didn't find this directory.

After a search I found all these directories:

/home/<USER1>/snap/1password/31/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER1>/snap/1password/32/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER1>/snap/1password/current/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER2>/snap/1password/31/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER2>/snap/1password/32/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER2>/snap/1password/current/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER3>/snap/1password/31/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER3>/snap/1password/32/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER3>/snap/1password/current/.config/1Password/settings

Do I need to change this for each user and what is the correct directory to add the settings.json file? It does not yet exist in any of the above directories. Thanks for the help :)

• Dayton_ag
    edited May 2021

Hey @ugafta,

Ah, my apologies! Currently, the Snap version doesn't yet provide the system interfaces we need in order to support this feature.

If you'd like, you can install 1Password from terminal, which does support unlock via system authentication - here's how to do so: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-linux/#debian-or-ubuntu

Once installed, you can enable System Authentication in the Settings menu. Click your account name in the top-left corner of the 1Password app, then click Settings. Once there, head to the Security tab, and enable Unlock using system authentication service.

• ugafta
    ugafta
    Community Member

@Dayton_ag thank you very much and finally it works. After I uninstalled the Snap version and installed 1Password via the terminal, I checked the settings.json. The following line was missing
    The other one was already included. After that I had the option of fingerprinting :)

• @ugafta:

Ah, excellent! Glad things are up and running for you now. :smile:

• aleon1220
    aleon1220
    Community Member

Hi everyone, I added the Schema line that was missing
    Ubuntu 20.04

{
      "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute": "{\"type\":\"ItemDetail\",\"content\":{\"itemListRoute\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"7GSCGWJ73RH3XCYSDBOQY3FQGA\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"AllItems\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null},\"itemId\":\"EE\"}}",
      "security.authenticatedUnlock.enabled": true,
      "privacy.checkHibp": true,
      "advanced.EnableDebuggingTools": true,
      "itemDetails.showWebFormDetails": true,
      "ui.itemList.sortBehavior": "{\"sortKey\":\"title\",\"sortOrder\":\"ascending\"}"

But now the System authentication is not available. I guess I have to reboot the system???

• Hey there @aleon1220, are you using 1Password installed via the Snap store, or another method such as through the Terminal?

Could you confirm if authenticated unlock was working before making changes to the settings.json file? Additionally, could you confirm if you're able to unlock your Linux system using Howdy?

• aleon1220
    aleon1220
    Community Member

He @Dayton_ag the app is NOT installed from the Snap store.
    I believe I am using the ppa Ubuntu repos.

Is there an 1Password app log I could tail to obtain more info???

• Hey there @aleon1220, you can find the logs in ~/.config/1Password/logs. If you'd like, I would be happy to help get authenticated unlock working - shoot me an email at support+linux@1password.com, and include a zipped copy of your /logs folder, and I'll be happy to work on it with you. :smile:

• aleon1220
    aleon1220
    Community Member

@Dayton_ag thanks, man. I have sent the logs in a zip file to the email you gave me. I will mention your tag there.
    Here are some possible log locations I found. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any errors or pointers.
    I am attaching some pics I took to explain the problem.

less ~/.config/1Password/logs/1Password_rCURRENT.log
    less ~/.config/1Password/logs/BrowserSupport/1Password_rCURRENT.log
    less ~/.config/1Password/logs/BrowserSupport/KeyringHelper/1Password_rCURRENT.log

Problem

I can use my registered fingerprints to unlock the computer or login but not to open/unlock the 1Password app.

I have attached the pictures showing the behaviour. Pics are below

I am showing what happens when I click on the 1Password fingerprint icon and how I do Linux login.
    You can see that the laptop enables the fingerprint scanner for Linux logging.
    Doing 1Password authentication asks me for my Linux password and it doesn't enable the fingerprint scanner. :-(

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021

Hi @aleon1220, just want to let you know that we've received your email message and will plan to continue the conversation with you over there, where we can discuss the specifics of your configuration. Thank you, and our team looks forward to resolving this for you!

• aleon1220
    aleon1220
    Community Member

Ok. Thank you. Bless you

• :smile::+1:

• aleon1220
    aleon1220
    Community Member

@Dayton_ag Is fixed now. The solution is as you suggested.
    sudo pam-auth-update

then choose
    Fingerprint No need to reboot. I rebooted my machine anyway. here is a screenshot for the visual people like me :-)

• No problem @aleon1220, glad we got that working for you! :smile:

ref: DFN-12473-518

This discussion has been closed.