Don't see autolock time anymore

I don't see the option to change the autolock time. It used to be there.
Mac Air 2019 13"
Mac OS 11.4

Firefox 90
1password in Firefox 2.0.5

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: Mac OS 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autolock time missing

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@senioruserfriendly 1Password in the browser now shares its lock state with the desktop app. So you need to look there for the setting.
    https://support.1password.com/auto-lock/

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @senioruserfriendly !

As @rootzero mentioned, the lock state is now managed inside the desktop app. If you don't use the desktop app, you should disable the setting Integrate with 1Password app in the browser extension, and you should see the setting for auto-lock again.

• senioruserfriendly
    senioruserfriendly
    Community Member

It seems every few months I'm told to have or not have the desktop application. I have the extension on chrome, firefox and safari. I also have it on my iphone. When I reinstalled, I was told to have the desktop. What does the desktop do for me? Would it work with Quicken which is an app? If I don't use it, why shouldn't I just remove it?

• @senioruserfriendly

Using the 1Password desktop app is a personal choice. What you're seeing is a result of a new feature we released earlier this year which allows 1Password in your browser to share its lock state with the 1Password desktop app. When you have both installed, the auto-lock settings will be controlled by the app. If you don't have the app installed, then the auto-lock settings are defined in the extension settings.

1Password for for Mac is still not able to autofill other apps. However you can make use of the drag and drop feature if you'd like to securely fill your credentials for apps. I'll let you decide which set up works best for you based on your workflow. :)

• senioruserfriendly
    senioruserfriendly
    Community Member

Why would I want to chose it? What does it do that I can't do with the extension? Is there something one does that the other doesn't? I imagine how costly it is to maintain multiple versions of something. You're forced to do that with different browsers, but what's the app needed for?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @senioruserfriendly ,

The desktop app provides some features that the extension does not. Firstly, it is a lot more comfortable to view and manage your 1Password via the desktop app. It is a big and detailed window where you can see and handle all of your accounts, vaults and list of passwords, which is key when managing your database.

Secondly, you can perform administrative actions such as mass-move and mass-delete items and passwords. You can't do that via the extension.
    In addition, 1Password in Safari still requires the desktop app to be around in order for it to work.

I personally find the desktop app quite helpful, but it is definitely understandable if you don't, which is why you can remove it if you choose to. :)

• senioruserfriendly
    senioruserfriendly
    Community Member

Thank you. Those are advantages, though I would think those features could be added to the browser. THere may be technical reasons for needing the app, but it seems extra to me.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help :)

One other feature I forgot to mention - the desktop app can utilize your computer's biometrics to unlock 1Password in the browser. So if you have Touch ID or Windows Hello, that can really improve your experience when unlocking 1Password in your browser. Instead of typing your long Master Password each time you need it, unlocking would be a breeze using TouchID/Windows Hello.

So that's one other point to consider!

• That IS a nice feature.

• I realize you are growing. From a user's perspective, I shouldn't need to know and select. There should be one app for IOS and another for OS. A web interface would be good if I didn't have my equipment. That ought to be the goal, as well as having versions for Mac/Windoze/Unix all pretty close in features and user interface.

If you can move towards that as a goal, it will make it easier to communicate with users, and users won't be confused. The information that you've provided to me in answering this question wasn't listed anywhere, so I had to just select and hope I was selecting what I needed.

I'm ok in knowing I can't do this in one version but can in another, if I know in the future, I won't need to make these selections. It feels a little simpler now than before, and I take that as a good sign. Nothing wrong with telling us we can't do it today.....and that is a goal.

Cheers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@senioruserfriendly:

Our developers are working on app consistence right at this very moment, that is indeed one of their priorities ;)

This discussion has been closed.