Can I use 1Password on Windows 10 without using the 1Password browser extension on Google Chrome?

Options

I am running Windows 10 on my laptop PC. I am running LastPass on my Google Chrome LastPass browser extension. I am considering changing from LastPass to 1Password. I want both LastPass and 1Password to work until I decide to make the changeover complete.

I have heard that having both the 1Password browser extension and the LastPass browser extension on Google Chrome at the same time will cause LastPass and 1Password to interfere with each other.

QUESTION: Can I install 1Password for Windows 10 on my PC and get it set up and working (Including importing an export file from LastPass) without installing or using the 1Password browser extension?

Please answer the question and give me any helpful explanation for your answer.

Thanks in advance.

james1964

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @james1964 ,
    Welcome to 1Password!

Yes, you can install the 1Password desktop app without installing the extension in Chrome. But that means you won't be able to autofill or save new logins with 1Password when you visit websites.

If you are trying to compare 1Password with Last Pass, perhaps it is best to try them one by one. For example:

• Install both 1Password and Last Pass in Chrome, but disable one of them in Chrome's extensions settings.
    • Use Chrome for a day or two with the extension you left enabled.
    • After a day or two, go into Chrome's extensions settings and switch between the two - turn off the one that you used now, and turn on the one that was disabled.
    • Use Chrome with the other extension for a day or two and so on.

Repeat this process until you come to a conclusion of which one you like better :)
    You can get to Chrome's extensions settings by typing chrome://extensions in the address bar.

I hope you'll find this useful!

• james1964
    james1964
    Community Member
    Options

I have Microsoft Edge but do not use it as my default browser. I want to keep LastPass on my Google Chrome browser until I decide for to quit LastPass and only use 1 Password after I have imported my data and organized it within 1Password.
    QUESTION: Can I use the 1Password extension on Microsoft Edge to autofill the websites until I am satisfied that everything works on 1Password?
    QUESTION: Can I simultaneously use continue to use the LastPass extension on Google Chrome (without interfering with 1Password) until I make a decision to disable it and use only 1Password?
    QUESTION: I prefer Google Chrome over Microsoft Edge when possible. If I make the decision to use only 1 Password can I then install the 1Password extension on Google Chrome, disable it on Microsoft Edge, and begin using 1Password only on the Google Chrome extension to autofill and save new logins (after disabling the LastPass extension on Google Chrome)?
    Thanks. james1964.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hey @james1964 ,
    The short answer is "Yes" to all :)

Simply install 1Password in whichever browser you want to use it: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/
    You can also install 1Password and then disable it in the browser so you'll have it installed but inactive until such time as you decide that you need/want it.

You can also keep LastPass installed but disable it - no need to remove it. When you disable/turn off an extension in the browser, it remains installed but is simply turned off and won't work until you turn it back on.

You have full control over where to install 1Password, when, if it will be turned on or off etc.
    Same for LastPass. Your browsers, your extensions, your choices :)

• james1964
    james1964
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much!!!
    james1964

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.