Entering multiline text in a text field

It seems that I can't enter multi-line text in a text field (in the way way that I can in the Notes field). Is there a good reason for this? It's severely limiting my use of 1Password. I can enter multiline text in a notes field but not in a text box? Perhaps a new field type of Notes is needed?

Also, I read somewhere that markdown can be entered in a text field but it doesn't appear to work other than in 1PasswordX but even then, things like tables aren't supported. Are there any plans to extend support for markdown to the apps and if not can it please be considered for a future release?

1Password Version: 7.7.8.10
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @daneel, thanks for these questions!

It seems that I can't enter multi-line text in a text field (in the way way that I can in the Notes field). Is there a good reason for this? It's severely limiting my use of 1Password.

1. Can you tell me a little more about this? While respecting your privacy (and of course the fact that this is a public forum) I'd love to know in what way the current setup is holding you back. Maybe there's another way to meet your needs, or alternately a feature request we can put in to the developers if the app can't currently do what you need. What's the benefit of multi-line text in the text field for you? Is that needed for something a Secure Note can't do well?

2. Are there any plans to extend support for markdown to the apps and if not can it please be considered for a future release?

We can certainly consider it, but I can't share details of what future releases of 1Password might contain. I appreciate your understanding about that!

• daneel
    daneel
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P

Can you tell me a little more about this? While respecting your privacy (and of course the fact that this is a public forum) I'd love to know in what way the current setup is holding you back. Maybe there's another way to meet your needs, or alternately a feature request we can put in to the developers if the app can't currently do what you need. What's the benefit of multi-line text in the text field for you? Is that needed for something a Secure Note can't do well?

I have various logins for my online bank accounts and in those logins as stored in 1Password, I have things such as password and passcode from which I have to provide the nth character and nth digit, so they're stored in the notes field along along with a separate passcode for accessing the banking app. I wanted to add my full bank account details (account name and number, sort-code, branch address, IBAN account number and BIC code and other info as multiline text, which I could just add to the notes field, but that's already pretty "busy" so I created a new field named Account Details, but then found that I couldn't paste or enter multiline text into that.

Rather than just bunging all multiline text into the single Notes field of a login, it'd be better if additional notes/multiline fields could be created in order to provide some organisation of the information stored in the login item.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@daneel:

Thank you for the clarification! I do the same thing myself in two different ways (I have not decided yet which one I like the most):

1. Instead of using a single field, I use multiple custom fields inside the Login item:

Unlike using the Notes field for this, this has the benefit of being able to copy and paste single fields when necessary, instead of selecting everything manually. It also allows you to save fields as passwords, in case you want to hide them by default.

1. An alternative, since bank information is something supported by a 1Password category out of the box, would be to enter this information directly in a Bank Account item type, and then link it to the Login item:

Link related items in 1Password

I have just checked my 1Password vault and I see that I use related items more often than custom fields, but that is personal preference :)

This discussion has been closed.