Can I use 1password on Windows 10 without using the 1Password browser extension?

I am running Windows 10 on my laptop PC. I am running LastPass on my Google Chrome LastPass browser extension. I am considering changing from LastPass to 1Password. I want both LastPass and 1Password to work until I decide to make the changeover complete.

I have heard that having both the 1Password browser extension and the LastPass browser extension on Google Chrome at the same time will cause LastPass and 1Password to interfere with each other.

QUESTION: Can I install 1Password for Windows 10 on my PC and get it set up and working (Including importing an export file from LastPass) without installing or using the 1Password browser extension?

Please answer the question and give me any helpful explanation for your answer.

Thanks in advance.

james1964

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@james1964 Yes, you can install the Windows desktop app and use this to import your LastPass export.
    https://1password.com/downloads/windows/
    You can also use the 1password.com website to import your data and organise it within 1Password.
    However, neither of these will autofill websites. Do you use more than one browser? Could you use the LastPass extension in one and 1Password in another?

• james1964
    james1964
    Community Member

I have Microsoft Edge but do not use it as my default browser. I want to keep LastPass on my Google Chrome browser until I decide for to quit LastPass and only use 1 Password after I have imported my data and organized it within 1Password.
    QUESTION: Can I use 1Pssword on Microsoft Edge to autofill the websites until I am satisfied that everything works on 1Password? QUESTION: Can I then use 1Password on Google Chrome after I have removed the LastPass extension from Google Chrome?
    Thanks. james1964.

• Hi @james1964! 👋 @rootzero's answer is right on. You can absolutely use the 1Password for Windows desktop app without installing 1Password in your Chrome browser. That's totally fine - and we of course understand you wanting to try 1Password, keep your logins organized, and so on.

It's also correct that you will need the 1Password extension installed in some browser in order for 1Password to auto-fill logins into websites for you. How can you do that? Read on:

1. I understand you have Microsoft Edge but don't use it as your default browser. If you'd like to take 1Password for a test run there, click "Install" beneath the Edge browser icon at this link to download and install 1Password in Edge.

2. You can also use a separate Chrome profile to test out 1Password. This is kind of like having different instances of Chrome, each acting as its own separate little ecosystem. That means when you create a new profile, no extensions are installed there by default. You can install 1Password there and try it independently of your normal browser setup. If you're interested, here's a Google support guide on how this works:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

QUESTION: Can I use 1Pssword on Microsoft Edge to autofill the websites until I am satisfied that everything works on 1Password?

You sure can!

QUESTION: Can I then use 1Password on Google Chrome after I have removed the LastPass extension from Google Chrome?

Absolutely. When installing to the Chrome profile you normally use, I would suggest that you at least fully close and re-open your browser between deleting one app and installing the other - but yes, it should be fine. 👍 If you run into any issues with your browser (for example, between Chrome's built-in password manager and 1Password), you can let us know too, and we'll be happy to help.

• james1964
    james1964
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your fantastic explanation and help!!!
    james1964

• My pleasure, @james1964. Hope you enjoy the app - and feel free to contact us for advice or assistance any time! 😀

This discussion has been closed.