Is there a best browser to use for 1Password on an iMac?

jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

I have noticed some websites work well and some don't with 1Pass on my iMac. I use Safari. I already have Firefox on my iMac as well. Is there a best browser to use for Macs? Is there any reason, like security for instance, not to change to another browser on an iMac?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 7.8.6
OS Version: OS X 14.1.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @jazzman

I use Safari and then Chrome as my backup for problematic sites. Though I have a lot of other chromium/chrome-based browsers installed. I used to find a lot of sites that would not work with Safari. (Years past) Today not so much.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Do you just switch back and forth between browsers as needed? If you switch to Chrome, for example, does 1Pass automatically open up each website in Chrome? What are other chromium based browsers?

• 1Password uses the default browser as set in the OS, for go and fill. I typically visit the site and use the extension to fill the details.

Chromium based like Chrome, Opera, Brave.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Thanks much.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Tommy, you are welcome @jazzman! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Use whatever your preferred browser is. 1Password works well with the major ones. And my reasons for preferring some browser are not going to be yours. I will say that Safari has some very strong privacy features built in and obviously works very well on the Mac. Also what may be the "best" browser on a platform today may change in half a year. And you will have your own reasons to prefer other browsers. The great thing about using 1Password is that you can switch between browsers. As others have mentioned, there are a couple of sites (I'm talking about you, American Airlines!) that don't work well with Safari, and when I encounter those, I just pick a different browser for them.

I am not actually going to recommend my setup to anyone, as it is tailored for my peculiar needs, willingness to configure and maintain various configurations, and tastes. But if anyone is curious, a daily basis I use Safari, Brave, and Chrome on my Mac. I use Crome for only for those things where I need to be logged into one of my two Google accounts for some reason or other. To help manage this I have purchased and use Choosy and set it up to pick browsers based on certain domains and give me the choice of which browser to use when it doesn't. Again, my needs and preferences are not yours.

Again, this is the kind of thing that has evolved over a long period of time, based on need, history, privacy preferences, and desire to tinker. You can make this kind of thing as complicated or as simple as you wish. Start simple and move to more complicated only when there is a real need to.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@jpgoldberg

Excellent advice and thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of jpgoldberg as well, you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.