Assigned vault preference feature does not seem to work.

AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member
edited July 2021 in Mac

The assigned vault preference feature does not seem to work. In my case, the assigned vault is a joint vault I share with my wife. I have a 2nd personal vault (it's empty). 1P always assigns a new login username and password to my personal vault. How do I get this feature to work?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 2.0.4
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:assigned vault

Comments

• @AMCarter3

You mentioned 2.04 are you setting the vault within the extensions settings or the Mac? I believe you'll want to use the extension. Right-click on the extension and select settings. Under general you should see the save new items in selector.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I think I found the source... I had not set the extension prefs to record password changes to our shared vault. It was set to record changes to my Personal vault. I changed it a few hours ago to record to our shared vault. BUT... I have a question... when I just looked at the extension settings to verify how it was set, the "Accounts & Vaults" setting is now "Locked" and it says above it "Include in all vaults". That implies changes will go to both vaults. I don't know how it was locked and I don't see a way to unlock it.

• @AMCarter3

Sounds like 1Password is locked or locked while you were in settings. Make sure the app/extension is unlocked. I believe you have the Mac app integration turned on.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I have the 1P desktop app open and the 1P extension is set to integrate with 1P app. And I turned the Accounts & Vaults extension setting ON (It was turned OFF). Now it shows both vaults with our shared vault ON and my Personal vault turned OFF. Can I now assume that now means changes will be saved to our shared vault?

• @AMCarter3

That setting on the extension only includes or excludes the vault from the All Vaults view. I use it to exclude vaults I do not want to be filled when working in the browser, like the ones that I have for my kids. I don't need to see stuff in there nine times out of ten. If you set the vault for saving, that should place any new items in the specified vault.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Thanks for the help today...

• You're most welcome. I hope it proves fruitful.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Tommy,

It looks like my odd issue is resolved! After a 3 hour call with 2 Apple Sr Advisors, I finally speculated that the source of all the odd "permission" issue error messages was most likely a corrupted User account. (It was odd that neither Sr. Advisor came up with that option). I've now created a new one, transferred my Documents folder contents, and voila! 1Password is loading up just fine with no issues... same for some other software that was impacted in a similar way. A

Thanks again for the help... discussing it with you was a key part of my diagnostic hunt.

• @AMCarter3

You're most welcome. I have a couple of those corrupted user accounts in the past (knocks on wood) that can be infuriating to locate. I'm glad you located it.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

We are clearly not using "NASA or Pentagon" grade software. It amazes me that the software industry sells a product that is consistently incomplete and almost guaranteed to be flawed. Imagine if we were astronauts flying to Mars and hoping to come back when... oops, my User account is corrupted again! Oh drat!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Imagine if we were astronauts flying to Mars and hoping to come back when... oops, my User account is corrupted again! Oh drat!

That would definitely be an interesting experience :)

This discussion has been closed.