Need to download/read files (document) stored inside vaults

pvkas13
pvkas13
Community Member

We already started to implement the new Secret Automation feature.

We want to include it as part of deployment procedure which will contains many configuration files in different formats (JSON, YML, .env).
So, instead of creating items for individual fields we stored all configuration files inside the vaults.
But issue is we are not able to fetch them (runtime download/read and use them) during deployment using APIs or SDK.

The only info we can get from SDK is called FullItem (which includes all metadata and all other related fields).
We are missing the content of file (do not currently know way to get the content of file programmatically).
We think it should be possible to get content since 1password's different OS client can show and download content of those files inside vaults.

It would be very helpful and easy for us to implement files directly and make whole deployment automated and secure.
so, we would like to request for help on how to achieve it or if this is not available yet we would like to request the feature.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi,

Thanks for reaching out with your interest. The initial launch of Secrets Automation did not include support for accessing attached files but it is on the roadmap as a future capability.

• echristiaans
    echristiaans
    Community Member

I would be interested in this as well, any update on the roadmap?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@echristiaans:

We don't have an update on the roadmap just yet, sorry!

• echristiaans
    echristiaans
    Community Member

thanks, have a workaround in place by using secure notes in stead of documents.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @echristiaans, thank you for sharing :)

• ag_leo
    ag_leo
    1Password Alumni

Hi @echristiaans and @pvkas13. Good news! File downloads is now supported through the REST API. You can find more information in the documentation: https://support.1password.com/connect-api-reference/ (In particular, List files, Get file details and Get file content might be of interest to you. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

• JohnnySheppardIsode
    JohnnySheppardIsode
    Community Member

Hi @ag_leo

Thanks for the update post - this is good news as I'm just about to start a project that could do with this.

I don't suppose you have any idea when the Python SDK will be updated to support this do you? No worries if now - I'm sure it's in the pipeline. Just thought I would ask in case you did know.

Johnny :)

• ag_leo
    ag_leo
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JohnnySheppardIsode,

We unfortunately don't have a timeframe to communicate right now for the Python SDK, but we'd be more than happy to help if you struggle with implementing the API calls within Python :smile:.

• JohnnySheppardIsode
    JohnnySheppardIsode
    Community Member

Thanks for the speedy reply @ag_leo

I'll give it a go and let you know if I'm having trouble :)

• JohnnySheppardIsode
    JohnnySheppardIsode
    Community Member

Hi @ag_leo - first question. I've manged to download files successfully - can you attach a file to an entry (new or existing)? If so, how would you do that?

• ag_leo
    ag_leo
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JohnnySheppardIsode. Glad to hear you were able to download files! Unfortunately uploading files to 1Password through Secrets Automation is not supported right now. Sorry about that!

• JohnnySheppardIsode
    JohnnySheppardIsode
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Hi @ag_leo, Thanks for letting me know. I know you probably aren’t able to say when, but is it at least something on the roadmap?

• Hey @JohnnySheppardIsode - I can confirm it's on the roadmap, and we definitely understand how useful it would be! We'll be sure to let you know once we have a better idea of when to expect that feature.

• JohnnySheppardIsode
    JohnnySheppardIsode
    Community Member

Thanks @David_ag, that would be really helpful.

• echristiaans
    echristiaans
    Community Member

thanks for the great work so far, as long as it is not supported to also upload files then it is not something we can use right now but definitely a great addition! To give you an example of what we like to use this for, we are a heavy user of Terraform and would like to be able to create TLS certificates in TF and upload them to 1Password as a document, then use it in other TF code (as a document). The workaround now is that we have to implement it as a password, which is not ideal but it works.

• daveyh
    daveyh
    Community Member

+1

• echristiaans
    echristiaans
    Community Member

coming back to this with a new request. We are using the Kubernetes Operator for creating secrets. I now have a configuration file (which I would usually mount as a file from a configmap) that contains secrets (username/password combination). This means I want to store this config file as a document in 1Password, then retrieve it with the Operator and store it as a Kubernetes Secret. Is this possible to do at the moment? running version 1.5 of the Connect API and Operator.

This discussion has been closed.