op Docker Image is amd64-only

austin
austin
Community Member

I have a new Apple Silicon (M1) Mac and I was going to try running the docker image for play purposes, but I noticed that it is linux/amd64, and the M1 works better with linux/arm64/v8.

WARNING: The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested

Because the rest of my team hasn’t yet upgraded to Apple Silicon, when I was doing some docker tooling development, I needed to make sure that both versions were built (GitHub actions does most of this for me; I am not sure how I would do so manually): https://github.com/KineticCafe/docker-sqitch-pgtap/blob/main/.github/workflows/build-and-push.yml

It would be good if the docker image were built for multiple architectures.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thank you @austin for sharing this feedback with us! I agree we should add builds for ARM64 as well. I'll look into what's needed on our end to make this happen and see what I can do for you. Have a good day! :smile:

• simon_1P
    edited July 2021

Hi @austin, we've just released a new version of our CLI, which adds a build for AMD64. We're not (yet?) building Docker images for AMD64 as well. You can include the new binaries in your own images build for AMD64. Hope this helps you.

• austin
    austin
    Community Member

Cool.

I recently needed to look into how to cross-build images, and it’s through buildx. Specifically, for my case, I needed to ensure that I was building a linux/amd64 version:

docker buildx build --platform linux/amd64 -t $(IMAGE) . --load

If you change that to something like:

docker buildx build --platform linux/amd64,linux/arm64,linux/arm/v6 …

Then you should automatically get a multi-arch image. There’s more to it than just that, and I’ve only scratched the surface of it, but it is impressive.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional info, Austin!
    Much appreciated :)

This discussion has been closed.