Flag to disable `op signin` from outputting email and subdomain

balupton
balupton
Community Member
edited July 2021 in CLI

I will be giving a talk in a few weeks demo'ing the 1Password CLI, however I don't want to leak my details. I can pass over the arguments to op signin behind the scenes, no worries, so the audience doesn't see them, and I can use a standalone Demo vault, so nothing leaks there. However, op signin insists on outputting the arguments that I gave it.

op signin subdomain email key --raw
Enter the password for email at subdomain.1password.com: 

I wish it just said:

Enter the password for the 1Password account:

As that would be more descriptive and less redundant, and allow me to demo it to the audience without leaking my email and subdomain.

I tried:

op signin subdomain email key --raw   2> >(sed -E 's/for.+//'>&2)

But that had no effect.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @balupton!

I have moved your discussion to the correct section of the forum so it can have more visibility :+1: In the meantime, I will also reach out to the team to see if they have any suggestions here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@balupton:

I have heard back from the team and I confirm that at the moment there is no way to hide this information. We don't have plans at the moment to make changes here, the idea being that the usability of the login process would suffer if we removed them (although in your scenario, for a demo, I understand it might not be that useful).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

There might be a way to slightly work around this.
    If you pipe your password into the op signin command it will not output the email/domain, but it will require you to store your Master Password somewhere on the computer, which is not something we generally recommend.

For example, if you have stored your Master Password in the Mac's keychain:
    eval (security find-generic-password -s <keychain name> -w | op signin)

This discussion has been closed.