Integrate Apple's "Hide My Email" with Privacy.com in 1Password?

rwhitey
rwhitey
Community Member

With the WWDC 2021 announcement of "Hide my email" feature, it looks like an opportunity for 1P to combine with your Privacy.com interface to make a sort of "Signin with apple" and "Apple Pay" replacement. (except new password for each site).

Any thoughts on this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Integrate Hide my email

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rwhitey!

Thank you for the suggestion :) Whether using Apple's "Hide my email" service or not (I am not sure if the feature is actually available to third party developers at the moment), I think having some sort of random username or email generator would be nice, I have let the developers know that you would like to see this :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#120

• rwhitey
    rwhitey
    Community Member

@ag_ana Hi. Thanks for the response :) . The thing is with "Hide my email" there would be a functioning email (i.e. user's appleid email) behind the alias. So maybe only useful to users with apple ids? But isn't everyone?

• @rwhitey

I couldn't find any APIs that developers can use to integrate Apple's "Hide My Email" feature into their apps. That said, I think there is room for us to build something like this. 👀

Ben

• rwhitey
    rwhitey
    Community Member

@Ben @ag_ana

So unless agile wants to host email relays (do you?) then maybe settle on email providers that allow on the fly aliasing. I use ProtonMail which accepts email's of the form emailprefix+arbitrarystring@pm.me. I think paid Gmail (Suite?) allows similar.

Finally one of your competitors (Abine) offers a set of services that to me are compelling they bundle them under the "Blur" product line. Includes password management, email relay with randomized email addresses, a private virtual card like Privacy.com and also virtual phone numbers that may be used for SMS MFA.

It would be sweet to offer a bundle like that under the Agilebits name and tech expertise. It would be worth a price bump in my opinion.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you again for the suggestions @rwhitey, it's certainly something that our development team can discuss for the future :+1:

• Julio Bouza
    Julio Bouza
    Community Member

I was thinking the same thing. Currently is like a manual process to have the Hide my email generate the email tied to the iCloud account in System Settings by copy/past to a new login in 1Password. I doubt that it can be integrated; so it is what it is lol.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, currently there is no API to do this unfortunately. Perhaps this might change in the future, you never know :)

This discussion has been closed.