Multiple questions about Recently Deleted, Archive, Item History, and Saved Form Details

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

I usually try to make my subject titles more specific to a question, but that would be difficult to do given the range of topics and questions, so my apologies.

I just upgraded to 7.8.6. I think I was last on 7.7 so there are tons of new features.

1) I see items in my Recently Deleted that go back around a year. How long are items kept in there? Is there a timeframe, or is there a certain count that will be retained and older ones removed? I see when I delete an item, I get a non-specific message that it can be recovered for a limited time.

2) Were trashed items being saved at the 1Password web site all along? (It wouldn't bother me if they had been. In fact I think it's good.)

3) Were items that might have been sitting around in an unemptied Trash folder also converted to Recently Deleted? I don't know if I had any in there at the time I upgraded.

4) Since previously one could leave the Trash unemptied indefinitely, making it into a home-spun archive, if you did convert those into Recently Deleted with a limit on how long they are retained there, it could conceivably lead to a surprise.

5) Is there a way to directly archive items from Recently Deleted? In the long run, people would probably use Archive rather than Delete if they wanted to save things. So what I'm asking about would be kind of a transitional thing - I'd never have trashed anything if I could have archived it, so I'd like to move my deleted items into the Archive while they are still available. It looks like I'd need to Restore something in order to then Archive it.

6) Item history vs. Saved Form Details

There's always been and still is a Saved Form Details in items, which seems to retain older versions of -- virtually all changes to fields? How does that relate to the item versions on the web site? Perhaps the idea for the Saved Details is to be able to manually view and copy/paste older values of individual fields, without having to completely revert to an older version of an item.

7) If you restore an older version of an item from the Item History, is the version it replaces saved anywhere? (It seems it would become the most recent item in the history.) And do the field values from the version you are replacing end up in the Saved Form Details of the restored item? (That can probably lead to all kinds of confusion!)

8) How long are previous versions of items kept? Indefinitely?

I know I'm going to get great answers, and I hope I remember all my questions and all your answers!

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: Catalina
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hi @Tonetony!

1) I see items in my Recently Deleted that go back around a year. How long are items kept in there? Is there a timeframe, or is there a certain count that will be retained and older ones removed? I see when I delete an item, I get a non-specific message that it can be recovered for a limited time.

Recently deleted items can be recovered for a year. Items in the archive stay there until you remove them manually.

2) Were trashed items being saved at the 1Password web site all along? (It wouldn't bother me if they had been. In fact I think it's good.)

Yes, they would have been in the Trash.

3) Were items that might have been sitting around in an unemptied Trash folder also converted to Recently Deleted? I don't know if I had any in there at the time I upgraded.

Yes :+1:

4) Since previously one could leave the Trash unemptied indefinitely, making it into a home-spun archive, if you did convert those into Recently Deleted with a limit on how long they are retained there, it could conceivably lead to a surprise.

Items remained in the Trash indefinitely, as now they remain in the Archive indefinitely. If you then permanently delete an item, you have a limited time to recover it (that was the case even before).

5) Is there a way to directly archive items from Recently Deleted? In the long run, people would probably use Archive rather than Delete if they wanted to save things. So what I'm asking about would be kind of a transitional thing - I'd never have trashed anything if I could have archived it, so I'd like to move my deleted items into the Archive while they are still available. It looks like I'd need to Restore something in order to then Archive it.

I don't believe that this is possible I am afraid.

6) Item history vs. Saved Form Details

There's always been and still is a Saved Form Details in items, which seems to retain older versions of -- virtually all changes to fields? How does that relate to the item versions on the web site? Perhaps the idea for the Saved Details is to be able to manually view and copy/paste older values of individual fields, without having to completely revert to an older version of an item.

Saved Form Details are used to fill items on web pages properly. Item version allow you to go back to a previous version of an item after you have edited it.

7) If you restore an older version of an item from the Item History, is the version it replaces saved anywhere? (It seems it would become the most recent item in the history.) And do the field values from the version you are replacing end up in the Saved Form Details of the restored item? (That can probably lead to all kinds of confusion!)

It would indeed become the most recent version :+1:

8) How long are previous versions of items kept? Indefinitely?

I believe by default this is the same as the other history options, so one year.

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Very helpful answers - thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @Tonetony! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.