Autofill always says "No items to show" in MacOS Chrome, works fine in Safari

I've been using 1Password on a Mac since ~2011 and just recently lost Chrome autofill functionality.

Everything works just fine in Safari 14.1.1.

On MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 running latest 1Password7 7.8.6, latest Chrome, Chrome extension named "1Password - Password Manager" 2.0.5 and no other 1Password extensions, autofill doesn't work, suggestions always says "No items to show". It's as if it's looking in the wrong vault or can't connect to the main application, or something. I store everything in an "ON MY MAC" vault named Primary and don't use the "MY NAME" Personal cloud vault. (Although logins stored there also do not show either.)

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jkalucki!

I store everything in an "ON MY MAC" vault named Primary and don't use the "MY NAME" Personal cloud vault.

If this is the case, you need to download the classic extension instead of the new 1Password in the browser extension:

Get the 1Password classic extension

The new extension you installed only sees vaults stored on 1Password.com, not local vaults :+1:

• jkalucki
    jkalucki
    Community Member

That did the trick, seems to be working now.

The documentation and UI was unclear to me, despite working on it for at least an hour on two different occasions. I was also laboring under the impression (from reading various threads on this forum) that the older extension was at end-of-life and that I should switch to the newer one.

Thanks for the help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jkalucki:

You are welcome! I am glad I could help :)

I was also laboring under the impression (from reading various threads on this forum) that the older extension was at end-of-life and that I should switch to the newer one.

This is correct: all developments is going towards the new extension moving forward, the classic extension is not receiving any more updates :+1:

• jkalucki
    jkalucki
    Community Member

@ag_ana, sorry to ask a follow-on question, but does this imply that the desktop storage model is at end of life and I will eventually need to migrate to the cloud service? The website isn't all that clear.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jkalucki:

No need to apologize! Our founder Dave wrote a post with all the information about the future of standalone vaults, which you can find here :+1:

This discussion has been closed.