1Password Firefox Extension Kills Performance

jmorton
jmorton
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Using Firefox 90.0.2 (the latest version), with a fresh profile, browsing the web is noticeably slower when the 1Password extension is enabled. To quantify this, I tried running a browser benchmark using the Speedometer 2.0 test: https://browserbench.org/Speedometer2.0/

In a fresh install of Firefox 90.0.2, on a recent Intel Macbook pro, Firefox receives a score of 94.2. After enabling the 1Password Addon, the test takes a minute longer to complete, and the score falls to 70.5. Disable the 1Password addon in Firefox, and the score will return to 94.2.

This is consistently reproducible for me by disabling and re-enabling the 1Password extension.

Hardware: Late 2019 Intel Macbook Pro 16", 16gb Memory, 2.6Ghz 6-core
Browser: Firefox 90.0.2
1Password Version: 7.8.6
1Password Firefox Addon Version: 2.0.5

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: OSX 11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• schematic
    schematic
    Community Member

I can confirm a similar decrease of approximately 20 points in this benchmark in both Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.

While this is far better than the nearly 75 point loss seen from LastPass, it's still significantly worse than Bitwarden which only sees a decrease of 2-3 points.

Functionality and use-friendliness of 1password is definitely better than Bitwarden but it would be nice to see that performance gap closed up.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jmorton 👋

Thanks for getting this on our radar! I noticed similar numbers in my test as well. I went ahead and passed the report along to our development team. We appreciate it. :)

ref: dev/core/core#9024

This discussion has been closed.