How to move items from a bespoke "Archive" vault to the official Archive/Trash

rbudish
rbudish
Community Member

I was one of those people who had created a special vault that I called "Archive" for old logins that I didn't want to fully delete but also didn't want polluting my searches. When I saw that 1Password had created their own Archive/Trash, I was excited that the team had come up with an official way to do what I had hacked together. I wanted to move the things in my archive vault to the official Archive, but I haven't found a good way to do it.

• If I select all the items in my special archive vault and Archive them, they move to the Archive in that vault, which means I can't delete my bespoke archive vault.
  • Once in the Archive in my bespoke vault, I can't move them to my main vault.
  • If I select all the items in my bespoke vault, I can move them to my main vault, but then they are mixed in with all my regular items so it will be hard to find them and Archive them.
  • I thought about trying to tag the items in my bespoke vault, then moving them to my main vault, then running a search for that tag and moving all of those items to the Archive... however, there's apparently no way to bulk tag items.

Any suggestions on the best way that I can move items from my bespoke "archive" vault, to the Archive in my main vault?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 11.5
Referrer: forum-search:archive move

Comments

• Hello @rbudish! 👋

The easiest way to move your items from your "archive vault" to the new Archive in your main vault is to archive all of the items in the archive vault and then uses the 1Password for Mac app to drag and drop the items from the archive of the "archive vault" to the main vault. You'll find that the items will be automatically placed in the archive of the main vault.

Let me know if that helps.

• rbudish
    rbudish
    Community Member

Sorry that it took me a while to respond. But yes, @Dave_1P this was exactly the advice that I needed! Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Dave, you are welcome @rbudish! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ThomasK
    ThomasK
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Following on from the original question: is it necessary to move the items at all?

Here's my situation:
    Like @rbudish, I have my own "bespoke" archive vault -- called Expired-and-Old -- which I now plan to delete and instead use the new Archive capability. I've already archived all the entries in that Expired-and-Old vault, and was just about to delete the vault itself when I realized that those entries (which, unlike the vault itself, I do want to retain) are sitting in an Archive area specific to the Expired-and-Old vault. Am I right that were I to delete that vault, I'd also delete its Archive area and, as a result, the items themselves?

• ThomasK
    ThomasK
    Community Member

BTW, @rbudish, although I think you now have your answer, this might be useful. You'd said, "there's apparently no way to bulk tag items", but there is at least one way.

First, edit one item in the entire set you want to bulk tag and manually add a tag -- toBeArchived, say. Once that edit is saved, the new tag will appear in the tags list in the sidebar. Then simply do a Select All on the entire set and drag the whole lot onto the new tag. Done.

• Am I right that were I to delete that vault, I'd also delete its Archive area and, as a result, the items themselves?

That is correct. Deleting the vault also deletes items in the archive in that vault.

Ben

• rudy
    edited October 2021

@ThomasK,

Its best to think of the Archive as simply the Trash with a new name and the lack of an "empty trash" command, but the addition of the ability to trash individual items present in the archive via the 'Delete' command. Each vault had its own Trash, correspondingly each vault has its own Archive.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

I'm struggling with this same issue in the new 1Password 8.

I've got 251 items that are in a vault I cleverly called "Archive" and I now want to get rid of that and move them to the main Archive.

Drag and drop into a tag doesn't work, it seems to only move the items that are currently on screen (so ~15 at a time). Select all and right click doesn't allow me to move them to a tag, and I don't want to move them to Private yet because I have almost a thousand items there that I don't want to archive.

I can move them directly to archive with a right-click, but that means I can't delete my "legacy Archive" vault.

Help? :blush:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wraith:

Drag and drop into a tag doesn't work, it seems to only move the items that are currently on screen (so ~15 at a time). Select all and right click doesn't allow me to move them to a tag, and I don't want to move them to Private yet because I have almost a thousand items there that I don't want to archive.

Can you please clarify how tags would play a role here? If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to move items to the 1Password Archive, so tags should not be useful in this case.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Tags would be useful because I want to move vaults, before I archive. I had hundreds of passwords in my "legacy vault" and moving them as-is would just mean they got jumbled with my active passwords. I ended up doing a manual move in batches of ~10, but unfortunately even that hasn't worked correctly and I now have a bunch that missed tagging (and subsequently missed archiving) and are now jumbled up in my current vault (which I was trying to avoid). In my opinion the Windows v8 drag and drop feature is a bit busted at the moment (but that's a little off topic given the original query above was for v8 Mac).

This discussion has been closed.