How do you clear 1Password account info that remains after iOS factory reset?

Options
MCBlaisdell
MCBlaisdell
Community Member

After a “factory reset” of an iOS device (iPhone or iPad) - which is SUPPOSED to clear out all previously loaded personal account & app info; if the 1Password is then reinstalled, the screen to add the 1Password.com accounts already shows account information for any accounts previously used on the device. While I understand that the main password is still needed to log in; it still seems like a startling and concerning security flaw. Is there a way to COMPLETELY remove that account info from the iPhone/iPad before turning it in for re-use by someone else?

1Password Version: 7.7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.7.1
Referrer: forum-search:iOS Factory reset

Comments

• Hello @MCBlaisdell!

I understand that you're seeing your 1Password account being suggested after you reset your iPhone. It sounds like your Apple ID is still associated with the iPhone since the "suggested accounts" that the 1Password app presents are taken from information (the equivalent of your 1Password account's Emergency Kit) that 1Password encrypts and stores in your Apple account's iCloud Keychain.

If you have an account being found in the details stored in iCloud, and you no longer want that account to show in the list of found accounts, you can remove the data from iCloud keychain using a Mac set up with that same Apple ID as follows:

1. On the Mac, launch the "Keychain Access" utility that comes with macOS
    2. In the search box in the upper-right corner of the app, search for "com.agilebits.onepassword.b5Credentials" (without the quote marks)
    3. Each search result you see is one account's details that are stored in iCloud Keychain
    4. Double-click on the entry you want to examine
    5. Tick the "Show password" box at the bottom of the Attributes tab, and enter your macOS user password when prompted
    6. The contents of the box will show the stored account details - you can click into the box and use the up and down keys on your keyboard to see all of the details
    7. When you have identified the entry that relates to the specific membership you no longer want to have recorded in iCloud Keychain, delete that one com.agilebits.onepassword.b5Credentials entry

However, the fact that you're seeing the 1Password account being suggested at all implies to me that your Apple account is still associated with the iPhone and that you're signed into the iPhone using your Apple ID. It sounds like you added your Apple account back to the iPhone since I believe that it's necessary to sign-in using your Apple account in order to download and install apps from the App Store.

I suggest reaching out to Apple so that they can help you verify that all of your information has been removed from the iPhone and help you get your iPhone ready for sale.

• MCBlaisdell
    MCBlaisdell
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Dave! I hadn't thought that through well enough; but after reading your reply, I did another factory reset of the phone and then logged into the App store using a different Apple ID (one which had not previously used 1Password); and was then able to see that the 1Password app then showed no previous account information. So, that seems to verify that it's wasn't that the info wasn't getting cleared - it was that by logging back in with my own Apple ID (as you say, to re-download the 1Password app) automatically restored the information from the keychain.
    Thanks, again!

• I'm happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.