Can I drag and drop my master password when I log in to 1Password on my Windows 10 PC?

Options

My very long long master password would be contained in a file in a flash drive that I would open on the pc and then uninstall the flash drive immediately after I had dragged and dropped the master password into the 1Password login. I just want to see if this drag and drop is possible. Thanks. james1964

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@james1964 Your secret key protects you from remote attackers who do not have access to your devices. Your master password protects you from a local attacker who has access to your devices. So I wouldn't recommend keeping an unencrypted copy of it on any local device or flash drive.
    If its too long or difficult to type then consider making it shorter and/or easier to remember. It is combined with the 128 bit secret key to generate the encryption key which protects your data. So you only need about 22-24 characters of random text, numbers and symbols to take full advantage of the 256 bit encryption.

• james1964
    james1964
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for an excellent explanation. This is the best explanation I have seen yet as to what the secret key protects and what the master password protects. But assume that I have my Windows PC in an environment in which a local attacker cannot attack my PC. I would have 1P only on that Windows PC. PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION. IS IT PPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO THE DRAG AND DROP THAT I DESCRIBED EVEN THOUGH YOU DO NOT RECOMMEND IT? Thanks. james1964

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@james1964:

This is the best explanation I have seen yet as to what the secret key protects and what the master password protects.

For more information about this, please also see this documentation page :+1:

About your Secret Key

IS IT PPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO THE DRAG AND DROP THAT I DESCRIBED EVEN THOUGH YOU DO NOT RECOMMEND IT?

You can drag and drop everywhere on your computer, including inside apps (although I should say again that this is definitely not recommended, as rootzero also wrote).

I am not sure I understand the question completely however: have you actually tried to drag and drop already? Did it work for you?

This discussion has been closed.