Using 1password extension with multiple chrome profiles

bzawlocki
bzawlocki
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I've added the chrome browser extension to both chrome profiles, however when trying to sign into my 1pass accounts in the extension settings of my second chrome profile, I am unable to. I believe this is because I'm already logged into my 1pass accounts with the desktop app and my other chrome profile and so the chrome extension in my second chrome profile is somehow confused. Is this a known issue or am I missing something?

I'd like to be signed into both my 1password accounts in both my chrome profiles. All software is up to date

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: OSX 11.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ask

Comments

• Hi @bzawlocki

I'm doing a similar thing on my computers, so it is possible. :) When you say:

I am unable to

Could you please elaborate? What specifically happens/doesn't happen? Is there an error message you're getting? Please let us know. Thanks.

Ben

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

Hi, I had exact same behaviour. Then I found out following.

Just for the info:

MacOS 10.15.7
    Chrome Version 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    I have 4 different 1Password accounts successfully subscribed.

On both Profiles:
    1Password Chrome Extension Version 2.0.5.
    All accounts/vaults are active in settings.

Profile #1 (default):
    Everything works well. Browser can fill the login form.

Profile #2 (default):
    Browser didn't find the item, no suggestions even when I clicked the 1password icon.
    When I opened the search on the extension icon, I could find the item.

Settings for the browser extension were same for both profiles.

Temporary Solution:
    I had to change something in the settings.
    I changed language for example.
    After reloading the page autofill is working until I restart the browser.
    When I restart the browser it won't work until I change some extension settings.

Another problem on the chrome profile #2 :
    Two-factor authentication with one-time passwords. won't work even after changing any settings in the extension. So this never works on the profile #2.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@philb74:

Can you please send us some extension logs so we can take a closer look for you?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thx, I've sent the logs. Ticket number [#WNH-35964-917].

Best regards,
    Phil

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@philb74:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: WNH-35964-917

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member

Everything seems to work after deleting and reinstalling the extension on this non working profile again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @philb74! Thank you for the update :)

• jzwierzycki
    jzwierzycki
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

hello, I am experiencing the same issue, or a similar issue where I am not able to use 1password properly in the 2nd profile. it only works in the 1st/default profile.
    specifically I am able to see the extension in the tab, but the normal [Command + \ ] doesn't work, nor does the embedded login/pass feature in the forms. In other words, I have to go to the desktop app to copy/paste passwords.
    I also have a work/personal split, and my 'organization' (work IT) manages the extension, so wondering if that may be part of the issue... pls lmk if there are steps I can take to make it work on both sides!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jzwierzycki:

If you ignore the keyboard shortcut for now, does the extension work as expected if you click on it in the second profile?

• jzwierzycki
    jzwierzycki
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana ! Thanks for the quick reply.
    It does not work completely, no: when I click it, the helper/window does pop up, but when I click 'auto fill' rather than filling, it instead pops up a new tab for that site, and does not fill that one either.
    Another thing that's weird, sometimes when I do the copy/paste workaround, I'll then get a pop-up asking if I'd like to save the login to 1P (even tho it's already registered).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jzwierzycki:

It does not work completely, no: when I click it, the helper/window does pop up, but when I click 'auto fill' rather than filling, it instead pops up a new tab for that site, and does not fill that one either.

Can you try installing the new 1Password in the browser extension in this second profile, instead of the classic browser extension that you currently have installed?

Another thing that's weird, sometimes when I do the copy/paste workaround, I'll then get a pop-up asking if I'd like to save the login to 1P (even tho it's already registered).

This happens when the URL inside the 1Password Login item is different from the URL of the website that is open in the browser. Can you check if the two URLs actually match?

• jzwierzycki
    jzwierzycki
    Community Member

hello again @ag_ana
    your first tip seems to have worked! I now have 2 versions of the extension in the second profile, but they do not appear to conflict.
    I am able to use the shortcuts and so on, I think I'm good to go thank you!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jzwierzycki:

your first tip seems to have worked!

That is great to hear, thank you for letting me know :)

I now have 2 versions of the extension in the second profile, but they do not appear to conflict.

They shouldn't, but you can remove the old classic extension, and just leave the new one installed, since you won't need both ;)

I am able to use the shortcuts and so on, I think I'm good to go thank you!!

You are very welcome :)

• likethesky
    likethesky
    Community Member

I have the same problem as @jzwierzycki -- works fine in the first profile, but opens a new blank tab for the 2nd profile. Someone really should investigate and fix this bug. I'll try reinstalling the extension again on the 2nd profile, but I shouldn't have to do this...!

• Hey @likethesky:

Just to confirm, are you running into trouble with 1Password extension (desktop app required), or our newer extension? Let me know, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• likethesky
    likethesky
    Community Member

Tbh, I don’t really know @Jack.P_1P … what I do know is that I was getting these exact same symptoms (as jzwierzycki above), and I quote:

“[…] when I click 'auto fill' rather than filling, it instead pops up a new tab for that site, and does not fill that one either.

“Another thing that's weird, sometimes when I do the copy/paste workaround, I'll then get a pop-up asking if I'd like to save the login to 1P (even tho it's already registered).”

However, after removing then reinstalling the extension or perhaps an older and installing a newer one (presumably the new one you speak of Jack, since I went to the 1Password site with Chrome and installed), this problem went away. HTHs!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@likethesky Glad that the problem went away! It does sound like you had the old extension and the new one works much better. If you run into any other issues, please feel free to reach back out.

• mjpieters
    mjpieters
    Community Member

I'm running into this too.

I have multiple Chrome profiles, that have the new Chrome extension (v2.3.7) installed, I have removed the classic extension. I'm using the latest Chrome (104.0.5112.101), on macos 12.5 (Monterey).

In the following scenarios, I have two profiles open, lets call these two profile A and profile B, both have tabs open. In Profile A I have a site login form open, one that I have a login for. Profile B has no login pages open.

• When I use the keyboard shortcut in profile A, the Search 1Password dialog opens in a window for Profile B. The correct login is suggested, but, Profile B does not have the login form open. Even if I have the windows for profile B minimised, a window will zoom back up to show the dialog. If I select the correct login for the form in Profile A in this dialog to autofill, I get a popup that asks me to verify that the current site in Profile B should have access the item (options Fill Once, Fill & Update Login and Cancel). Clearly 1password is trying to use the item for the wrong site.
    • When in Profile A I click the 1password icon in the toolbar, and click on 'autofill' for a suggestion in the resulting dialog, nothing happens. The dialog closes, the login form on the current page is left untouched. The same thing happens when I use the ENTER key.
    • When I close Profile B (select profile icon in Chrome, select 'Close X windows') and so only have Profile A open, the extension appears to not fill the form either, until I reload the login form page. Reopening Profile B causes Profile B to capture 1Password again.

While I could use the Cmd-C and Cmd-SHIFT-C shortcuts to ferry the username and password over to Profile A, this is not how I would have expected the extension to work. Is there anything I can do to make this work correctly?

• trumbitta
    trumbitta
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Update

For the poor souls that are coming here to get help

To make it work I had to:

• right click on the extension icon
    • choose "Settings"
    • Find a "Sign in to another account" button at the bottom of a long page of settings
    • Click it
    • Find out what the obscure onscreen instructions actually meant
    • Type URL, email address, secret code, password, the weight of my soul, and my age in milliseconds, into a form inside the desktop app that somehow automatically opened and I don't know what would've happened hadn't I previously installed it

And now it works also on my second profile.

Boy, you need to do some UX testing.

Anyways, all is good now.

Original

I'm having similar problems.

I've just moved from LastPass after the recent critical breach, and I have already stumbled upon a UX blocker.
    Everything that I'm about to describe worked flawlessly from my day 1 (years ago) with LastPass.

I have Chrome Profile A, where I installed the browser extension and it works.
    I have Chrome Profile B, where I installed the browser extension and it doesn't do anything. Moreso, when using profile B, the extension icon has a little lock icon on it, and when I click on the extension icon all I get is a popover window with a big blue "Open 1Password" button which does absolutely nothing when clicked.

I already tried to close and reopen the browser, and the profiles, and uninstall and reinstall the extension.

All of this I discovered because I just installed 1Password and I was going to change the passwords I already imported from LastPass.
    Please tell me that this 1.5yrs old issue will be taken seriously and I won't have to fumble between browser windows, unable to use autofill, for the rest of my time with 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.