Turning off field suggestions

mskopel
mskopel
Community Member
edited August 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I have not found a way to turn off the field suggestions. The problem I am having is that with multiple suggestions information on some forms are being hidden. I like the idea but it would be nice if I could click or tab onto the icon rather than having suggestions automatically display. I suspect this is possible, I am just not finding it.

Thanks,
Michael

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 11.5.1

Β«1

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

Hey @mskopel ,

In situations where 1Password's inline menu is blocking some of your view, you can easily dismiss it by one of the following:

• Pressing ESC on your keyboard.
    • Clicking on a blank area in the page to remove focus from the field.
    • Clicking the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to toggle it off.

If you'd like to simply disable the inline menu's automatic appearance, this can also be done by going into the extension's settings page (right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser -> Settings), then turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option there.

• mskopel
    mskopel
    Community Member

Thanks for pointing that out ag_yron. The inline menu is nice feature but I am finding that a lot of time I am having to go from the keyboard to the mouse and back to the keyboard as I change fields via the tab key. I suspect it is a training issue and I just need to take the time to understand the new feature and how I should be using it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your experience @mskopel .
    If you are using the keyboard, then utilize the ESC key when needed, alongside with TAB when you switch between fields.

I hope you'll give this feature a proper go before deciding to neutralize it, I'm sure you'll find it extremely helpful once you find the best workflow for your needs :)

• mskopel
    mskopel
    Community Member

Hi ag_yaron,

I have done as you suggested and tested out the new feature and all in all, I like it. The problems I am having are specific to my usage. I have a business and am creating shipping labels on UPS and a few other sites every day. Each time I enter a field, 1Password prompts me to populate a field or save the values which will never apply in this scenario. It is very distracting. What I have not found and am requesting is a feature where I can specify specific domains will not prompt me at each field. Basically, turn it off at a domain level. I realize that this also means that I will not get prompted to actually login to UPS but that is ok.

Thanks,
    Michael

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mskopel:

For confirmation and just to make sure we don't miss anything, have you also given the Hide on this page feature a try already? Would that help you?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

In addition to ag_ana's great suggestion, which will temporarily hide 1Password on this website, if 1Password is showing up in a place where it is not supposed to, please let us know exactly where so we can improve it on our side and prevent it from showing up there :)

• mskopel
    mskopel
    Community Member

Thanks to you both. The problem was that I was looking for that option in Settings and by clicking on the 1Password extension at the top of the broswer. I have not had cause to click on Suggestions at the field level. All's good and thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @mskopel! I am glad we could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful dayΒ :)

• scotttrinh
    scotttrinh
    Community Member

@ag_ana @ag_yaron

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but is there something that we as web application developers can do about this issue from the other side? We have multiple fields that end up getting these inline suggestions and they get reported as bugs to us, but I can't seem to find best practices or suggestions on how to avoid 1password filling a field.

• @scotttrinh

You can code the field as autocomplete="off", which will result in the inline menu being closed when the field is focused. Unfortunately, due to rampant misuse across the web, we can't guarantee that the extension will follow the autocomplete attribute 100% of the time.

An HTML id or HTML name starting or ending with search would also be something you could do without changing how the field is displayed and greatly improve the chance that we don't consider it interesting.

Using an HTML input type="search" should be a guarantee that we wouldn't show up, but this does inform browsers that it is a search field and cause them to react differently. For example, many browsers will display an icon in and clear the field if the user hits esc. Here is an example of a search field that will never display the 1Password inline menu: https://fill.dev/form/search

You might also find these links helpful:

I hope this information will point you in the right direction.

• scotttrinh
    scotttrinh
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle Great! This was all helpful, and gives us something to go on.

• @scotttrinh

You are most welcome! :) If there's anything else you need, do not hesitate to reach back out!

• andrewborstein
    andrewborstein
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

I'd like to echo the sentiments made by others before me β€”Β on the Lightspeed team I've been stuck choosing between disabling the browser autofill on Chrome or 1pass, but not both.

However, after trying out @ag_chantelle's interesting suggestion, it works! Albeit as a hacky solution.

To those following along at home: If you include autocomplete="new-password" and id="search-<whatever-you-want>" on your input then browser autofill will be disabled on all major browsers AND 1password.

Here's a simple reduced test case to demonstrate the issue and the fix: https://codepen.io/ls-andrew-borstein/pen/VwWjoEM

Autofill enabled: 🚫 1pass βœ… Chrome

Autofill enabled: βœ… 1pass 🚫 Chrome

Autofill enabled: 🚫 1pass 🚫 Chrome (πŸŽ‰)

• BenjaminHD
    BenjaminHD
    Community Member

Hi there. I would like to bring the thread back to the autofill experience for users. I hope that's ok.

Our use case is that we use a patient management application across different browser profiles. In that patient management application, we enter demographic data for patients including, among other things, their street address, email address and mobile numbers.

1Password pops up to offer the information we have set up for ourselves in these fields. We don't want to enter our data in those fields! We need to enter the patients' data.

After reading this thread, I have successfully experimented with:

• the escape key option
    • the hide on this page feature

But after logging out then back in, it appears that I need to choose either option again to prevent autofill displaying in these fields.

Is there a way to set either of these options or is there another solution so that pages inside the web application never trigger the 1Password pop-up?

Thank you!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @BenjaminHD ,

In your case, there are two possible solutions here:

• You can disable the inline menu's automatic appearance so that 1Password won't show up on its own in fields when you focus them. Simply right-click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser, select "Settings", then turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus". That will apply to all websites, and you will be able to call 1Password whenever you'd like by simply clicking its little icon that shows up on the right side of the field you want to autofill.
    • You can send us the details of the page where you don't want 1Password to show up in and we can change that behavior on our side, but that might take a little while to implement. If you'd like to go for it, let me know and I'll provide you with instructions :)
  • BenjaminHD
    BenjaminHD
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron

Thanks for this advice. We have tried the first solution you have recommended. It works ok.

But I would like to go for the page-specific solution you have suggested.

We would like to use 1Password on https://gentu.io/users/sign_in but we would like it to be disabled once we have logged in.

Does this provide you with the information you need?

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BenjaminHD:

Thank you for sharing the URL with us! Can you send us the page details of the website after you have logged in, so we understand exactly how the page looks like? Please see these instructions from my colleague Yaron to see how to collect this information :+1:

• BenjaminHD
    BenjaminHD
    Community Member

Hi there @ag_ana

Is this the information you need? This is for the sign in page.

{
    "unparsedUrl": "https://gentu.io/users/sign_in",
    "title": "https://gentu.io/users/sign_in",
    "frames": [
    {
    "fields": [
    {
    "formOpid": 0,
    "htmlId": "email",
    "htmlClass": "jss205 jss190",
    "isUserEdited": true,
    "autofilledBy": "us",
    "opid": 0,
    "type": "text",
    "value": "ben.d@npvascular.com.au",
    "label": "Email address",
    "labelBefore": "Email address"
    },
    {
    "htmlId": "password",
    "htmlClass": "jss205 jss190 jss208 jss193",
    "isActive": true,
    "isUserEdited": true,
    "autofilledBy": "us",
    "opid": 1,
    "type": "password",
    "value": "ayf9chv6eyq5TVJ!fwm",
    "label": "Password",
    "labelBefore": "Password"
    },
    {
    "htmlId": "use_mfa",
    "htmlName": "use_mfa",
    "htmlClass": "jss227",
    "opid": 2,
    "type": "checkbox",
    "label": "Use a multifactor authentication token"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss234 jss253 jss247 jss264 jss265 jss248 jss267 jss268",
    "opid": 3,
    "type": "submit",
    "value": "Log in",
    "labelBefore": "Use a multifactor authentication token",
    "labelAfter": "Log in"
    }
    ],
    "forms": [
    {
    "htmlAction": "https://gentu.io/users/sign_in",
    "textContent": "Log in Email address Password Use a multifactor authentication token Log in Forgot password?"
    }
    ],
    "origin": "https://gentu.io",
    "pathName": "/users/sign_in",
    "uuid": "bse5op"
    }
    ]
    }

This is for the home page once logged in:

{
    "unparsedUrl": "https://gentu.io/my_day/todo/assigned",
    "title": "My Day",
    "frames": [
    {
    "fields": [
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss99 jss98 Colored__root___FYnoJ at-help HelpIcon__root___1iaIW IconButton__root___Ltv3P",
    "type": "button",
    "labelBefore": "My Day Appointments Patients Results / Letters Address Book Reports Settings"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss99 jss98 Colored__root___FYnoJ IconButton__root___Ltv3P",
    "opid": 1,
    "title": "Expand sidebar",
    "type": "button"
    },
    {
    "autocompleteType": "off",
    "htmlId": "patient_search_input",
    "htmlClass": "jss136 jss121 jss141",
    "opid": 2,
    "placeholder": "Search for Patient name, DOB or Mobile Phone",
    "type": "text"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss99 jss98 Colored__root___FYnoJ IconButton__root___Ltv3P",
    "opid": 3,
    "labelBefore": "Mr Ben Dudley Northern Perth Vascular GTU41391 BD"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss337 jss331 jss334 jss348 jss349 jss332 jss351 jss352 myDay-addButton",
    "opid": 4,
    "value": "Add",
    "labelBefore": "To Do Recalls",
    "labelAfter": "Add"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss315 jss317 jss320 Tabs__root___D4Fna selected-true gtu-tab constrainWidth",
    "opid": 5,
    "value": "My Tasks",
    "labelBefore": "Add"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss315 jss317 Tabs__root___D4Fna selected-false gtu-tab constrainWidth",
    "opid": 6,
    "value": "Practice Tasks",
    "labelBefore": "My Tasks"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss315 jss317 Tabs__root___D4Fna selected-false gtu-tab constrainWidth",
    "opid": 7,
    "value": "Sent",
    "labelBefore": "Practice Tasks"
    },
    {
    "opid": 8,
    "value": "Done",
    "labelBefore": "Sent",
    "labelAfter": "Done"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss106 jss99 jss100 jss103 jss378",
    "isDisabled": true,
    "opid": 9,
    "tabIndex": -1,
    "title": "Previous Page",
    "labelBefore": "0-0 of 0"
    },
    {
    "htmlClass": "jss105 jss106 jss99 jss100 jss103 jss378",
    "isDisabled": true,
    "opid": 10,
    "tabIndex": -1,
    "title": "Next Page",
    "type": "button"
    }
    ],
    "forms": [],
    "origin": "https://gentu.io",
    "title": "My Day",
    "pathName": "/my_day/todo/assigned",
    "uuid": "nk082b"
    }
    ]
    }

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @BenjaminHD ,
    This is what we need but not in that format :)

Can you please send us the .json file that was downloaded when you collected the page's structure via email to support+x@1password.com with a short description of the issue, a screenshot of where 1Password shows up (where you don't want it to show up) and a link to this discussion here so we can connect the dots?

Thank you kindly.

• BenjaminHD
    BenjaminHD
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron

My apologies but the instructions I was provided said to paste the information in the thread. I have clicked "Collect Page Details" and it shows as a "blob" page in Chrome. How do I get the JSON from this?

Thanks again

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sorry @BenjaminHD ,
    Here's how:

1. Get to the page where 1Password shows up in places you don't want it to.
    2. Right-click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Help" -> "Collect Page Structure".
    3. A file will be downloaded in your browser. That is the file you can email us along side a description and a screenshot of the webpage showing the issue with 1Password.

Thank you :)

• BenjaminHD
    BenjaminHD
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron

Got it!

I'm sending the email now

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @BenjaminHD ,
    We'll reply shortly :)

• snapplez
    snapplez
    Community Member

It's amazing how many people have this common issue - and even more amazing to see all the hacks that people have used/tried to fix this. Is there a particular reason that 1Password is not interested in implementing a simple attribute to prevent 1Password attaching to an input element. LastPass does this elegantly with the data-lpignore attribute - I think lots of people would be thrilled to have a 1Password equivalent "data-1password-ignore".

• ag_chantelle
    edited October 2021

@snapplez

It's amazing how many people have this common issue - and even more amazing to see all the hacks that people have used/tried to fix this.

You're right. I think this is mostly attributed to the rampant misuse of the autocomplete="off" attribute across the web. Which makes it challenging for password managers to choose if and/or when to respect it. For the most part, 1Password respects this attribute by automatically minimizing the inline menu when the field is initially focused.

Is there a particular reason that 1Password is not interested in implementing a simple attribute to prevent 1Password attaching to an input element. LastPass does this elegantly with the data-lpignore attribute - I think lots of people would be thrilled to have a 1Password equivalent "data-1password-ignore".

I know this has been a consideration of ours and is definitely on our development team's radar, to overcome the aforementioned issue. I can see the value of having a similar attribute, specific to 1Password, available and I'll be sure to share your sentiments with the team. We appreciate your input here. :smile:

ref: ref: dev/core/core#4300

• snapplez
    snapplez
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle thank you for replying - i really do appreciate it (and i'm sure others will be glad for the additional information).

we looked at using autocomplete="off" and autocomplete="nope" (yes, that's a real thing) and it doesn't work consistently. as you mentioned the poor use of autocomplete is an issue and therefore not a reliable way for password managers to detect what they should/shouldn't attach to. also technically autocomplete attribute can be applied to the wrapping form element and it's supposed to turn off autocomplete for everything in the form - not sure how well that works in practice - and it doesn't work with 1password.

there are some techniques that attempt to use the wrong type of text input e.g. type="search" - but this is hacky/clumsy. we can do better.

the most obvious (and valid html) method would be a custom attribute - which is supposed start with data- per html spec - and thus the idea for data-1password-ignore (or data-1password-ignore="true"). an alternative, which probably isn't as elegant as html attribute, would be a class value that would disable 1password on and element.

let me explain why i think this is important. on occasion (more than a few times) 1password (and/or lastpass) trigger on an input element where it just shouldn't. i don't know the specific algorithm for how an input is picked or not (the name attribute probably plays into it) - but it can be wrong and results in a confusing user experience.

bad user interface is not ideal but not usually a deal breaker. however, and maybe more importantly, we've applied enormous effort in an attempt to train everyone that weak/reused/bad passwords need to be avoided at all costs - with the recommendation to please USE, and TRUST a password manager. it is the TRUST and CONFIDENCE in the password manager that is critical - and when 1password, or dashlane, or lastpass, etc - do "weird", "odd", or "unexpected" things IT REDUCES THE CONFIDENCE IN THE TOOL (and yes, unfortunately, i've even been asked more than once to DISABLE/REMOVE password managers because of weird behavior).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional helpful information @snapplez .

The autocomplete="off" attribute will be respected if there's no password field on the page. However, if there's a password field (e.g. type="password"), then 1Password will ignore the autocomplete="off" attribute completely.

We'll keep discussing this internally but our main concern remains that developers will abuse the power to disable us in places they shouldn't.
    For now, if 1Password shows up incorrectly in places, we urge users to report the website to us and collect the page's structure and send it over (right-click the extension icon -> help -> collect page structure). That way we can improve 1Password on our side and prevent it from showing up on that page, and possibly other pages that are designed similarly. :)

• landsman
    landsman
    Community Member

Please, fix this finally!!!

• Hey @landsman:

Thanks for your feedback. This is something we're continuing to discuss internally, but don't have anything further to share at this time.

Jack

• landsman
    landsman
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Man, this is a really stupid issue that's been here a really long time.
    Please change the priority on that.

Add support for data attribute: data-1password-off="true" is the easy, fast hot fix for this.

This discussion has been closed.