Sync between macOS and iOS devices with externally imposed limitations

ack3000
ack3000
Community Member

I've been happily using 1Password for years, of late syncing between a few macOS computers and a few iOS devices with iCloud since Dropbox was banished by my employer (US government), but now they are also banning iCloud. The only cloud storage we are permitted to access that can be shared between my work Macs and those outside of my work network is Box, which is not supported for syncing by 1Password. If not for the iOS devices, I guess I would sync each 1Password to a local folder that I would sync between platforms using Box, but I can't see how I could tie into that method with iOS, though I'm unsure if the 1Password local folder sync would even play nicely with the Box sync. I'm a long-time Unix geek and am comfortable with such handy utilities such as rsync, but sadly the only Macs that are reliably connected to the internet 24/7 are inside my work network, so I'm rather stuck at present. Wondering if anyone knows how I might sync across my devices with these constraints.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Chrome, Firefox, Safari
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7, iOS 14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@ack3000

Has your employer looked at syncing via 1Password.com? Our team would be happy to answer any questions they may have. Box is not one of the methods that was tested. It may work and it may not. With it not being tested I am not aware of any way to make this work for you.

support@1password.com

• ack3000
    ack3000
    Community Member

My employer NASA is a very large organization that is neither nimble nor generally open to new approaches, and generally does not support its employees in their technical challenges in using software packages not supported by them. They have grave (and understandable) concerns about IT security, which is why they have recently banned Dropbox and iCloud from use on government equipment. For all I know (and would not be surprised), they will ban 1Password from government equipment at some point in the future, but I'm unaware of any concrete plans for doing so. But unless and until that happens, I am stuck in the position I described.

Box accounts are free, and I suppose it is not out of the question that I could try to set you up with an account linked with mine for testing purposes.

• @ack3000

We have made the decision to move to subscription only. There will likely be no further development for other sync services.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917

• ack3000
    ack3000
    Community Member

Oof, that is terrible news. Is 1Password.com's cloud storage FedRAMP (https://www.fedramp.gov/) compliant?

• @ack3000

Sorry for the delay. I was checking with those knowledgeable on the subject. We are not currently FedRAMP compliant. Maybe one day that could change in the future. But I do not have any time frame.

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

@ack3000
    Tresorit is FedRAMP compliant- you could move your standalone vaults easily to Keepass XC (easily opens OPvaults) and store that database in Tresorit.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion :+1:

This discussion has been closed.