the problem with replacing the trash with archive

2»

Comments

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

@rootzero I’m using the Mac app. And yes I use the keyboard shortcut (hit the delete key) to move items to the trash.

@Ben yeah I realize the copy-to-trash-on-move behavior isn’t new. But the trash –> archive rename ignores that what ends up in a trash is different than what ends up in an archive, and the app hasn't updated its behavior to reflect this. The trash had items that I (or in this case, the app) had marked for deletion, whereas the archive has items I’ve marked for keeping. Now both items get mixed together and I have to manually comb through them.

I’m posting because it's not clear yet what the plans are for how the archive will work in future versions, and I'm hoping these usage scenarios are helpful for whatever team is working on this. My tl;dr feedback is: although trash may have been renamed to archive, trash ≠ archive.

• jimpm
    jimpm
    Community Member

I just realized that Trash is now Archive. (I thought Archive was a new separate "feature" where I could store my old logins, separate from what I had in my trash).

I agree with swanvestas. I would much prefer to Delete items and have them temporarily stored (like the Mac's trash can). It makes me feel uneasy to delete something without having a recovery in case I deleted the wrong item. I don't want to clutter up the Archive (I like the idea of keeping older items there, but not deleted items).

Sending trashed items to the new Archive folder instead just makes it cluttered. I had to spend a bunch of time cleaning it out to only keep things I intended to Archive there (not temporary trash).

I read in the blog post that: "If you have a 1Password account, you can recover a deleted item from our Recently Deleted feature on 1Password.com. If you are using a standalone vault, then a deleted item will be deleted immediately." As a stand-alone user, that makes me very irritated. Why can't the stand-alone have a temporary trash can too? I don't need a recovery feature, just a TRASH for deleted items and a ARCHIVE for items I want to store but not have populate in the browser. Frustrating.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

I have discovered a bug which is because Trash was been baked in to 1Password for many years, when I tried to declutter my vaults with 1Password --> Help --> Tools. The deleted (or moved) passwords goes into Trash (now renamed Archive).

1Password 7.8.8 Beta-0

This discussion has been closed.